External hard drive question.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kriegs, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Kriegs

Kriegs Private E-2

Is it possible to have an external drive, with maintanance software, to use on different PCs? What would be some recommended software and drive? I have never owned one and it seams as though this would be the easiest solution to keeping my PCs rock solid.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Sure, an external harddrive is a great tool. I have one I carry around with tools, ect .. on it.
    I was using a small case with a laptop drive, but it died recently so I went to a 100GB 5 1/4..
    I carry Autopatcher (XP,2K,&2K3), unofficial Win98 service pack (Win98 usually needs drivers to recognize an external USB drive, so plan for that if using 98) , adaware, spybot, the latest updates. The NAV & McAfee updates. HiJack This, CW Shredder, various drivers from the many CDs laying around, some password tools, key finders... it keeps growing, everytime I run into something that may be useful later I put it on my drive.. be prepared!

There are many drives & cases.. so you can make your own or buy one readymade. For a case I'd suggest cooldrives.com. I know Maxtor's One touch is somewhat popular - but I'm not a fan of Maxtor drives.

3. Kriegs

Kriegs Private E-2

I guess what I was looking for was an external drive that had it's own operating system. Apparently for software like Ad-aware to be fully effective, it has to be installed to be able to scan registries and such.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Ah.. I use the drive to carry around so I have tools when I need them.. ie someone not on high speed - I dont have to wait to download service packs, ect...

I F (big IF) your PC will boot USB you can put Part PE on the drive and boot it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds