Windows only shows 256 out of 1.5 gigs of ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mago12, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

I have dell dimension 4600 P4 2.8 and 1.5 gigs of ram. PC came with 512(2x256) of ram and later i added 2 more sticks of 512 Dual Kingstone ram. Everything was working fine untill my HDD burned i bought a new HDD and instulled it it was givving me hard time so i flashed the bios and evrything was fine. Now i dicovered my pc is running slower and that Windows XP only recognizes 256 out of my 1.5 wich was working fine before, i switched the ram places and no matter wat i do even if i leave just one 512 stick in my pc windows still only see 256, but in the bios it say 1536 so i dont think its a problem with the bios they show evreything fine weather i put in 256 1 gig or 512 the bios show the right amount but windows always shows 256. Can anyone plsea help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

First guess. Flashing the BIOS is for when you HAVE problems. I would flash back to see if the problem goes away. I know it sounds nuts. Its not.

3. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

Yea i tought of that but why would there be a problem with the bios if they show the correct amount of ram all the time 256, 512 1gig or 1.5 they bios show the right amount all the time

4. Major Attitude

Thats not the issue. What is the issue is what has changed that could have caused the problem.

5. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

but how do i flash back to the bios i had??

6. Major Attitude

1 of 2 ways. Download the oild bios and apply it the same way. Find your manual for cmos reset. It should be 3 pins with a jumper on 1 and 2. It might be near your battery and marked "cmos rst" or similar. Simply move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 over to 2 and 3, wait a second, then move it back. BIOS is now at default.

7. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

thanks, i will try that when i come back from work and post my results.

8. Major Attitude

Anyone else has any ideas, please jump in. From the info I have so far, if it isnt the bios, I am stumped.

9. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

I cant belive it lol i flashed back to a previous verison and it didnt help, but i am not sure what version i had before maybe it is even earlier one

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Can you show us a screenshot of your system properties?

Right click on my computer, choose properties.

Make sure you blank out any product ID or other information regarding yourself.

11. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

I currently have 2x512 inserted but still shows 256

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, go to start, run, and type C:\boot.ini.

Copy its contents to here.

For example, here is mine:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

13. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /maxmem=1536

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You will need to reboot with those changes.

16. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

i did but still shows 256 nad rebooted

17. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect/maxmem=1536

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does all of the ram show up in Safe Mode?

19. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

I have also tryed goin to run, msconfig then boot.ini and the advance options i couldnt chnage the maxmem there higher then 255 before, but once i did what u have told me i went in there just to see and it was 1536 but once i pressed ok it switched back to 255 automaticly

20. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

Safe mode shows 256, but the boot.ini file is still set to 1536

21. mago12

mago12 Private E-2

messing around in the system setup i fixed my error, i just turned off the OS setup mode or something like that in the bios thats wat was limiting my memory in windows. Thanks alot for evryones time and effort

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds