Win 2k Blue screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foogoo, Apr 6, 2006.

1. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

First - sorry I don't have exact details. A co-worker brought in his W2k machine because it would not boot just blue screen. The screen said something about any new added hardware or a possible virus - found neither to be true. Googled it and found chkdsk clears it out. Sure enough I used Barts disk and chkdsk and the system boots fine... for a while..
    I have verified there is no new hardware, ran many virus scans all come up clean, the hard drive passes diagnostics... but this error slowly creeps back in.. I gave him the bootdisk so he could fix it when it happens again (it does).

One more clue the systems slows gradually then dies - the moniter goes from green to flashing amber - the PC goes off.
    Timeline is weeks.. not hrs or days...

Anyone heard of a permanent fix? Got a clue what the real problem is?
    Possible heat issue - the 'wind tunnel' on the processor is gone - he has a large case fan pointed to the CPU.. it is a 800Mghz.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Go old school. Remove all hardware that isnt needed and see if it continues. Sound card, network card, 1 of 2 sticks of ram, anything you can do without. I think you have a hardware issue, possibly heat.. If any fans are nonworking, especially over the CPU, you have a serious heat issue. A monitoring tool might be able to verify RPM of the fans and would be an easier first check.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds