how to USB Key backup??? I know it's possible!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jazagod, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

A friend of mine asked me..." How do I create / make a Backup disk on a USB key"?
    I could search it up and what not...But...
    I think more people should learn this alternate back up system.
    How is it done? Myself, I have a laptop that has no A: drive, His has died. I also believe that 3.5 floppies are becoming obsolete.
    How is it done?
    I believe geeks can help here!
    Jay

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You plug the USB key in and make a backup to it. That's it. There is nothing even remotely special about how it's done. Once the key is in the system it will be assigned a drive letter, just like any other type of media.

3. Jazagod

Thats what I told my friend, but we came up with....Nothings that easy.. is it?
    lol TY for the response, but is it really that easy?

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

What exactly are you trying to backup? I doubt you'll be able to backup an entire system onto a flash drive, since even the bigger ones don't really have enough room (the biggest I've seen are 2GB, which isn't enough for a standard Windows machine with programs).

If you want to backup your files it's as easy as copying the files to the device using drag and drop or copy/paste in Windows Explorer.

5. Jazagod

Golfish, all that is wanted is just a simple backup, like what you would backup on to a floppy. his A: drive is cooked, and I dont have an A: .
    I have many USB keys kickin around, and just want a simple back up, Not entire.
    know what I mean?:D

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

In that case if its just backups of data and files then as Goldy said one the USB pen drive is plugged in the OS ( if XP and above ) will install the drivers for it and from then you just drag n drop or copy and paste your files onto it as they are used for all intense and purpose as a portable HD, I use these all the time to bring stuff to and from work and to move files from my desktop to laptop.

Microsoft have a small tool for syncronising folders you may wish to backup or mirror between PCs Microsoft Sync Toy 1.2

Some documentation

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds