Installing Sound Driver in Windows ME

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I'm Sam, Apr 6, 2006.

1. I'm Sam

I'm Sam Private E-2

I have had sound problems with my computer for a very long time. A Microsoft tech told me to go directly to the Dell site and download a new sound driver. I entered all of the proper info about my computer and the only choice I had in their list of communications drivers is 3Com Controller-based v. 90 Modem, v 5.19.0.4, A03. I have no idea if this is the correct sound driver other than this is what the dell site led me to.....Is there a way to check if this is the right thing to do? Thanks again for your help with this ols issue.
    Sam

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Modem driver doesn't sound like the right one.

What sound card do you have installed or is it onboard sound?

3. I'm Sam

I'm Sam Private E-2

I'm not sure. The computer was used when I got it and already had Windows ME installed on it. The sound worked at first but after a while the only way I could make it work was to start in safe mode, delete all the sound devices then reboot in normal mode and they would all reinstall. The only problem is if I turned the computer off I was back at square one again. On the dell site I entered the tag and model number for my computer along with Windows ME and clicked on drivers. In the list of drivers they show that is the only driver under their heading for communication drivers. Is there a way to find out what kind of sound driver I have? Thanks for your help, Sam

4. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Suggestion = Installing Sound Driver in Windows ME

Suggest you take the side cover off your computer and identify your "Sound [Card] Chip"

Be careful and don't touch any of the boards or components in case you transfer static electricity to same as this will make then unusable?

A suggestion is you may have a talented friend who would be conversant with the above!

After idententifying same enter same in Google search

Hope may help?

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Also go here & download & install 'Everest'. See what that has to say about your sound.

6. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Another Thought = Re: Installing Sound Driver in Windows ME

Do you have the "Computer's Dell Recovery Disks" that came with your computer???.

I feel if you have same the "Sound Driver" should be within!

Not sure how to install same?
    I feel when your computer notifies you on "Startup" for the sound card program that you insert the Dell CD??

Someone on this forum may be able to assist you on how to install from the Dell CD?

all the best

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds