fitting a different dvd/cd drive into my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lord lucan, Apr 7, 2006.

1. lord lucan

lord lucan Private First Class

ive got an acer laptop, it has a quanta qsi cdr/dvd sbw 242b optical drive.

it can only read dvd's i want to put a drive in that can also write dvd's as well as the cd's, how can i find a drive that will fit into my laptop right and work ok?
    or is it not possible?

cheers

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

You will really need to provide more info! Look on the bottom, side and enter in all the details of the maufacturers sticker or off purchase receipts and post in the specfic model no. The more info the better! I'm sure there is a possibilty.

For when it comes to removing and replacing the CD/DVD R-W here is a laptop disassembly link, real easy and normally just 1-2 screws:

http://www.irisvista.com/

3. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Typically speaking, you'd just contact whoever you bought the laptop from and ask them for a drive which would fit it. Or just go to any store that sells laptop drives and ask for one that fits your laptop.

Some laptops have removable cd drives which just slide in and out in 2 seconds. Where as other laptops have them built in and changing them is basicly never done, and if it is, it's usually done by sending it into the maker of the laptop. Although it all depends on how much work you're willing to put into it.

4. lord lucan

its an acer travelmate 2000 thats about all it has of any use on the sticker

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

6. lord lucan

hi the drive it shows is external i want to upgrade with an internal one, any ideas thanks for your help i feel im close!

7. lord lucan

8. lord lucan

hi ive tried everything i rang acer and they said i can get the part it is 6M.TSD80.002 this is no help to me i need the model and make can anyone help?

cheers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds