Should BIOS be upgraded

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jerseydevil, Apr 7, 2006.

1. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

Should the BIOS be upgraded when a new version comes out? I upgraded once and then read that it is risky to upgrade.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not unless it fixes a problem your are experencing, odd occasion you can get a bad flash or the update can cause new problems, if your PC is working fine leave well alone.

cavet to this is on some mobos ( Gigabyte I know ) you have the bonus of dual bios chips, so you can test a new one out safe in the knowledge that you have a spare to use in case of a problem, which you can also use to re-flash the other.

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

You only need to upgrade if you are having issues with your system. If it is running OK then it is probably best to leave it. Also depends on what the upgrade bios has fixed or introduced.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've lost two motherboards in the past to bios upgrades.

Go with the motto:

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds