New CPU fan causes conflict with Win XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gofish67, Apr 7, 2006.

1. gofish67

gofish67 Private E-2

I just replace the CPU cooling fan. I purchase from compusa. It is a generic that is suppose to be compatible. When i boot up I go to the safe mode or normal startup window. What ever choice i make it just reboots. If i unplug the fan from the motherboard system boots normally. Have you ever heard of this problem.

system config

AMD ATHLON XP 2000
    M7VIGPRO MOTHERBOARD

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The fan in itself wouldn't cause the OS conflicts, as no drivers are used (unless you use software that can control it).

What if you plug the old fan in?

3. gofish67

gofish67 Private E-2

No Conflicts But The Fan Is Failing Dose Not Maintain Speed And System Shuts Down. Due To Overheating

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Are you plugging the fan into the motherboard header or a molex connector?

5. gofish67

gofish67 Private E-2

I Am Pluging To The Same Connector On M/b That The Previous Fan Was Connected To.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Connect it to a molex connector. Most store bought fans come with an adapter to hook it to your PSU directly. Or, see if you have another motherboard header you can hook it to.

7. gofish67

gofish67 Private E-2

I tried an alt. header used for the case fan still refuses to boot. I check out the molex conector idea.

8. gofish67

gofish67 Private E-2

I am using a 3 pin molex already on board

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Molex connectors are 4 pins, and are hooked to your PSU, not the motherboard.

10. asturnacle

asturnacle Private E-2

gofish67;

the connection that Adrynalyne is refering to can be the spare (or using a "Y"), cable power connector that would go to a disk drive. If u use a "y", place 1 drive on one connection and the other to the fan and the feed to the power supply.
    what may be happening to u is that the replacement fan is drawing or asking for more current than the mobo connection can supply. u have a low voltage condition on the mobo and it shuts down self protect.
    also a slim chance a pwr supply going bad.

hope this helps
    asturnacle

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds