3com wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MonkeyCat, Apr 7, 2006.

1. MonkeyCat

MonkeyCat Private E-2

Not sure this is classified as a Hardware query, but here goes. I have a 3com wireless router. Had a few problems with it recently, which my ISP Helpdesk sorted out. However, every time I shut down my computer now, I seem to disconnect from the router. To overcome this, I have to go to the router address 154.654. etc etc, log in, and reconnect (the status is disconnected when I arrive at the page). Literally takes 1 minute after booting up, but it's a pain.

How can I stop this?

Thanks.
    MonkeyCat

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

assuming you have dsl for internet, the router should be the host to the network, and i usually set the router address to
    192.168.1.1. the computer the router is connected to should have the dns number, 192.168.0.1
    all other computers connected would get their dns numbers automatically.

depending on the speed of you computer, sometimes, it takes a couple extra seconds for the connection to connect.

hope it helps

3. Stik62

Stik62 Private E-2

kjanz,

How does DNS function if the DNS address is a different segment than the router?

4. MonkeyCat

MonkeyCat Private E-2

Guys. Appreciate thoughts, but, cmon. Please, give me the answer.

5. MonkeyCat

MonkeyCat Private E-2

Sorry. I'm not sure I understand. To clarify, I have to go to the router webpage, and in internet settings, it's set as DISCONNECTED. I just have to click on the CONNECT button, but have never had to do this before.

ANy more ideas?

MonkeyCat

6. MonkeyCat

MonkeyCat Private E-2

OK - I'll try and explain this another way (I'm not particularly computer literate so please bear with me).

I have to go to the router website where my status is disconnected. The following are all set to N/A:

Internet IP address
    Subnet Mask
    ISP Gateway address
    Primary DNS
    Secondary DNS

I click on connect, and when the page refreshes, I'm connected and the above information is populated correctly.

I can leave my computer on for hours on end and it doesn't connect automatically. I always have to connect manually in this manner.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    MonkeyCat

7. MonkeyCat

MonkeyCat Private E-2

Can anyone help please???:confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds