New mobo, big problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dillingerdisco7, Apr 8, 2006.

1. dillingerdisco7

dillingerdisco7 Private E-2

Well, i dont know what i did wrong, maybe using two different types of ram, wrong power supply, but i had sparks. my other mobo died about 3 months ago after 2 years, so i think i jumped into this one to quick. Got the soyo dragon 2 p4i865pe plus v.1 two days ago, hooked it up and it started, got to the loading windows screen and shut down. i tried to restart but all that would happen was a tiny flutter from the cpu fan. so i gave up for a bit. took out one of my ram sticks thinking that having the 2 different ones was the problem. didnt work. about and hour later i tried it again and it started up, but very slow because of slow ram. everything was good though. i shut it down last night, put the other ram back in (which i probably shouldnt have done) to get it faster. it worked fine, so i used it for a few hours then shut it down. came back today and started it up. worked good for about 5 mins then turned off. i tried to turn it back on, little flutter from the fan. turned it off and tried again and BAM, big spark from an ic. blown in half. so here i am, hoping that you guys can tell me what i can do about it (i would just get another mobo, but its only 2 days old, plus im quite the solderer), what went wrong, and how i can avoid doing this again. I enclosed a picture or two of my problem.

Attached Files:

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Return the board its defective why should you have to fix it :cool:

3. dillingerdisco7

Theres nothing that i couldve done to cause this?

4. Rikky

Its up to the store to prove you broke it,not for you to prove you didnt ;)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sure, if you poured water into the machine ;)

6. dillingerdisco7

I souldnt have, but unfortunately i got it from ebay. It was an ebay store, but still ebay.

7. dillingerdisco7

Because of the ebay thing, thats why i was hoping to try and fix it.

8. Rikky

Contact the store,they still should be under obligation to provide you with non defective goods,if its a private person contact him see if he'll replace it,can you post a link to the store:)

9. dillingerdisco7

It sounds like its just a guy. I talked to him and asked if he had any warranty info, but hes not sure. Knowing how people are on ebay im probably just going to have to take it as a loss. There is one interesting thing i found though: on my mobo that burned out a few months back, i found a burnt out integrated circuit just like this one. Not in the same place, but the same type of ic. Now the ram that i have now, i had on that one for quite awhile, but after it burned out i got a new power supply. Now im really starting to think i might have something to do with this. What would make this happen? Thank you guys for responding so quickly!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds