GPU Threshold?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UBdead, Apr 8, 2006.

1. UBdead

UBdead Private E-2

Hi, new to this forum.

I have a question about the GPU threshold. I have a 7800gt co (470/1100) and nvidia has my threshold temp at 115C before it starts to slow itself down. Doesn't that seem way too high?

I hope this is in the right category, if not tell me where it should be posted.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

That's correct. The max temp is 115C before it starts to cool down. The non OC model usually idles in the 50-60C range, and will peak in the 80C range. Maybe a little higher. But even if it's going to 100C that's nothign to worry about.

They go pretty hot without a problem. Plus it will slow itself down if it needs to. Unless your games arn't running smoothly there isn't much point in worrying about the temp.

3. UBdead

UBdead Private E-2

Mine usually idles at 37C - 38C. OC'ed under full load (Doom 3 AAx4/AFx8 Image on high for about 1-1/2 hrs) it reaches 55C. That's why I thought that 115C was soooo high. Thought card would go into total melt down at that temp.

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Nah, it's fine. To be perfectly honest you could most likely OC it more if you're seeing those temps. :) I sounds like the extra cooling you've got on the OC model is quite a bit better then the stock.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds