XP2500 vs Dual PIII 833's? OR a XP3200?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gargle, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Gargle

Gargle Private E-2

I know this is not a fair question - but...

What is faster - a system with a single AMD XP2500 processor or a
    system with 2 Pentium III 833 processors...

Again - not fair but lets assume all other things to be somewhat
    equal... (ie hard drives and ram and motherboard chipsets etc...) and
    that it's general PC use - not a server or a programmer compiling large
    programs etc... just average Joe Schmoe with Windows XP PRO -
    websurfing, picture editing and occasional video (relatively small) in
    something like video studio or pinnacle..

it's not a decision of what to buy - just more of what to do with what
    I have access to.

FWIW The AMD system does have 1 gig ram DDR400 (but the 2500 cannot take advantage of the 400) and the dual system has either 1 gig OR 512 - cannot remember - but it is RDRAM (RAMBUS)

ALSO - in a system running that XP2500 with the 1 gig of DDR400 (motherboard is a A7N8X Deluxe) - is it worth it to pick up a XP3200 for about 130 bucks? would there be much performance boost from the processor and the ability to take advantage of the DDR400?

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

The xp2500 is much better for you. Dual processors would help more with something liek a server, but for standard users it isn't very helpful at all and you'd most likely find the computer similar to a normal PIII 800mhz.

As for the ram, The A7N8X motherboard supports 400mhz ram just fine. You can use it with your current setup. My guess is, unless you've disabled it or underclocked it for soem reason you'd already be using it at 400mhz. Although I suppose if you bought the board when it was brand new you would need to update the bios to gain support. You need version 1.07 or later to support 400mhz, but it is supported.

3. Gargle

Gargle Private E-2

tnks -

actually the 2500 I thought would not support the 400 speed - but the 3000 and the 3200 would?

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

check for bios updates from the mobo manufacturer's website

5. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Nope, you're fine on that front. Most likely just need to update the BIOS.

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The chipset and memory are also much faster on the xp2500,the dual 833's may struggle to run xp pro,I wouldnt like using it,if you do set all the effects to best performance and switch to classic mode :)

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

The Asus A7N8X all versions including the Deluxe all support 400FSB ( I have one with an XP2500+ Barton:p )
    The XP 2500+ (Barton core) cpu is stock at FSB 333
    The XP3000+ & the XP 32000+, I belive were both avaible in 333 or 400 FSB

I woulndnt waste the money upgrading from an XP 2500 to XP3000 or XP3200, espessially knowing you have an Asus Deluxe MOBO.
    Some OCing can run your CPU at 400FSB to match your PC3200 memory
    Those XP 2500+ Barton CPU's are some great chips, Most can easily match the speed of a 3200, I havnt seen one yet
    that couldnt do 400 FSB on your MOBO

You might even have a XP 2500 that is unlocked, even if it not unlocked it can do 400 FSB

Check out the OC guide:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52812

8. Gargle

Gargle Private E-2

Thanks all for your input - very much appreciated! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds