not booting & cpu fan not spinning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by isy, Apr 9, 2006.

1. isy

isy Private E-2

heres the situation:
    i recently installed a new PSU (the same wattage as before), a couple of days later my computer seems to be in standby mode when i try and boot, lights are all on but it just doesnt boot. after a few goes of switching power off and on, it boots sometimes, but after a while also randomly switches off and goes back into the "standby"ish mode again, so i took the side of the case off to have a look, and noticed the cpu fan wasnt spinning, but when i tilted the comp to take a better look it then started spinning again, then i rebooted and the computer (and fan) worked fine. i switched the computer off, and then tried to boot again and it wouldnt boot and the cpu fan was not spinning.
    so im hoping this is just a psu or fan issue? and not that my cpu and mobo are fried? or is there some kind of protection that the computer switches off if it doesnt detect a cpu fan working?

also, is there any chance my hdd could be damaged by this?

any help or suggestions would be well received!
    Isy

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Post the rest of your specs read this

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/announcement.php?f=22

Yes your computer can fail to boot if the cpu fan isnt working,its cheaper to replace it now than a cpu later, have you tried removing the connector blowing off the pins and reinserting it,I'd also recommend removing all the psu connections and reinstalling them it sounds like theres a loose connection somewhere,a loose connection on the main motherboard power can kill your whole board very easily 'I know,on one of the first psu's I ever changed,I was too timid to push it in hard enough which caused an arc killing it dead' also could you post the brand and model numbers of both the psu's,what was the reason for the PSU change? :)

3. Lewg2

Lewg2 Private E-2

Rikky's right. You need to replace that $10 cpu fan before starting your pc up again.

Some boards have full featured CMOSs which allow for shutting the system down on account of temperature. It would only take a couple minutes (or less) for the cpu temp to skyrocket past a configurable threshold.

My guess: replace cpu fan and see what happens. Probably all you need.
    Cheers,
    Bob

PS. My WAG: your HDD's probably fine, too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds