Microphone not working.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zer0gh0st, Apr 9, 2006.

1. zer0gh0st

zer0gh0st Private E-2

Ok, I have a p4p800 mobo with integrated sound by soundmax. The output is fine all speakers work etc. however, the mic. just won't record anything over a scream and even then it sounds like I stutter. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, bought a new mic and searched around alot for info. I have found out a bunch of people had this problem and all they had to do was run a .exe program from analog controls in program files. I don't have that file. I have also read that buying a new soundcard hasn't helped anyone who was experienceing this. Anything that might help would be appreciated.

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

There are many possible reasons for this. Sometimes people have this problem because there mic has an on switch and they simply never flip it to on. A MIC that is turned off typically works, but just needs really loud sounds.

Another common mistake is people don't adjust it in the windows master volume menu. Which can be found at Control panel->Sounds and audio devices, then the advanced button under "Device volume", then go to options->properties and pick Recording and hit OK. On this screen you have to make sure the Microphone volume level is turned up at least a bit and that the box labeled "select" is checked.

There are a couple more things you could try, those are the two most common though.

3. zer0gh0st

zer0gh0st Private E-2

Nope I had done those before hand. I thought maybe the volume adjust or the kill switch on my mic had broken even and I bought a new one but the same problem so it has to be my comp somehow. I changed all my settings from top to bottom I really am at wits end on this I have done everything I can possibly think of.

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Another thing you could check is some sort of third party volume controls. Basicly what you're looking for here would be any sound software which was installed with your sound drivers.

One of the most common ones can be launched by goign to start-> run and typing "mixer". If that doesn't work try to find the software that was installed with your soundcard. There is most likely something, and that is what you need to adjust.

5. zer0gh0st

zer0gh0st Private E-2

Did that too. It is soundmax. I uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers for it. I changed everything possible. I think it might be the mobo since i have seen people with similar problems from the p4p800. Dunno I'm still looking and hoping I can fix it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds