Hard disk drive error?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bele, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Bele

Bele Private E-2

When my girlfriend deletes files on her computer, her CPU stops. she tried waiting and nothing happens. Could this be a hard drive error or what? also, right clicking on the recycle bin stops her PC.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Could be a multitude of issues, from;

1. Hard Drive failing or error, for this from the run box type chkdsk /r ( note the space between k and / )

or you can use the graphical route of Open My Computer > right click the C: Drive > Properties > Tools > Check Now and tick the two boxes of options > Start

this check may take a while, so go have coffee or beer!

2. OS corrupted file is a possible; Which OS we talking about? When did this start happening? Was anything new installed, if so what?

3. Have you checked for Virii or Mal/Spyware being the cause?
    checkout this guide for a good process for this http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

4. What security software ( please name all ) you have installed as IIRC Norton has a protected recycle bin that may override the general bin.

3. Bele

Bele Private E-2

no drive errors there..

I don't know when it started happening really but she didn't install anything new before that happened.

her pc is free of malicius progs as well.

her only security software is norton antivirus.

I tried removing one of her ram chips. seems like that was the problem

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds