Still confused

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 03jbm3, Apr 11, 2006.

1. 03jbm3

03jbm3 Private E-2

Hi all,

I have done tons of research over the last month or so but I am still having difficultly trying to understand most of what I have found. I am n00b and trying my best to learn but at this point I need to ask a few questions. I am interested in building a new computer but there are so many choices for parts I don't know what will fit my needs best. I have read mixed reviews about all sorts of different processors and Mobo's but I could use a little advice at this point. Basically here is what I have in mind: The system will be used heavily for networking, code development, and general multitasking. And when I am in the mood playing games like Quake 4 or whatever game I might be into at the time. In light of this I need to build a machine that can handle these requirements and last for a few years. I am not as concerned with the cost as I want it to last awhile so I don’t mind investing in quality parts. And obviously I would like to over-clock it for more performance. I already have a water-cooling system in mind. As of right now I was looking at the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1 GHz and an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe. Does this combination sound like it will fit my needs? Would an Athlon 64 FX processor be better? Also what kind of hard disk would be best for this setup? I don’t want it to become a bottleneck. Would a different processor be better for my needs? Or is there anything new coming out that perhaps I should just wait for? Any information you guys can provide would truly be appreciated!

Regards,

Conor

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Wow, a rig like that would make some geeks want to hump your leg! It sounds like a sweet setup you have selected.

As for waiting for something bigger and better, well, you will ALWAYS be waiting. Intel is about to release a series of Quad-core processors, but by the time you're looking to invest in those, they will be working on something better.

SATA hard drives would complement this nicely. If you are concerned about read times, you could setup a striped volume to improve disk access. Unfortunately, this requires you double your investment in disks. You may want to ivestigate Hitachi. IIRC, they are the only manufacturers on the market with HDD rotational speeds higher than 7200 RPM. (a brief glance shows they have 10 000 RPM models AND 15 000 :eek: )

3. nickwsu

nickwsu Private First Class

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Yeh I'd get the fx60 if money isnt a problem,it isnt worth economically but with a watercooling setup you could overclock easily,just a small overclock would,well just be carefull it doesnt become self aware:eek: ,you also need to pay attention to which video card you select for gaming its the most important component, a 7900gtx would be nice,but if you stick with the x2 4800 the money you save could be put toward another 7900gtx ,you could have two 7900gtx's in SLI,watercooled,very tasty indeed :)

5. 03jbm3

03jbm3 Private E-2

Thanks for all of the input guys! I really appreciate it. I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration when I go to buy the parts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds