Is it a Virus?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mark Stoker, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

when I boot up my PC it boots up fine.
    I log on and it takes about 10min before I see the desktop (Shouldnt be taking that long)

Once logged on it is near impossible to use the start menu as it is always frozen.

If you can open and application such as word or firefox then they run as normal (fast) and fine.

Is it a virus that is causing this?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

If you are concerned about viruses, spyware and the like, visit the malware removal thread, and it will show you how to set up an excellent, redundant antivirus/antispyware defense for free.

However, this sounds more like startup programs to me!

Try this:

1. Hit windows key + r (or click start --> run)
    2. Type 'msconfig' (without the quotes)
    3. Press enter (or click ok)
    4. Select the 'Startup' tab

Here, you will see all the programs that are set to run at startup. Eliminate as many as you can safely. Another place to check would be Start --> All Programs --> Startup. Anything listed there will be run at startup as well.

3. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

yeah Cheers mate startup programs was the problem.

Thanks alot;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds