Cannot Detect Modum

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D28, Apr 11, 2006.

1. D28

D28 Private E-2

Greetings-

I have a Dell Dimension 4500. 2.4 MHz, 512 RAM Running Windows XP SP2. We have used DSL for the past 3 years with no problem. We've recently moved and have enrolled with a new DSL provider (SBC/Yahoo). They gave us a modum and installation cd. I've tried to install the new modum, but I receive a message that the computer "cannot detect a modum" during set up.

I've spoken with SBC/Yahoo support several times (we've switched out modums and cords and tripled checked the physical connections) and they've concluded that "there is something wrong with my computer". Still not being connected to the internet - I'm using a friend's machine to e-mail this- yet paying for it anyway, I'm becoming quite frustrated. All I can think of is our old DSL modum connected via a USB port, while the new modum requires connection to an ethernet port. Is it possible my Dell does not have an ethernet card?

What do you all suggest??

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The install disc is just for USB. I am guessing you got the 2Wire Home Portal? If hooked up to Ethernat, you do not need the install disc.

All that you should have to do in order to set up the new modem, is go into its settings page, input your username and password for PPPoE, and then go through the settings here http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13705

3. D28

D28 Private E-2

Thank you for your kind reply.

Please forgive my ignorance here, but I don't believe I can access the internet at all. If I simply plug in the modum (without running through the install disc) and I open IE, all I get is page cannot be found. (And if I try and run through the install cd I get stuck on cannot detect modum and go nowhere).

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Once again, are you hooking up the modem with a USB cable, or a Ethernet? If ethernet/Cat-5e, you do not need the Install disc, and the information in the link I posted will help in setting up your new modem.

Once hooked up via Ethernet, and the modem is plugged in, you should get a IP from the modem's DHCP and be able to access the Setup pages.

5. D28

D28 Private E-2

OK, I gave that a lash and it didn't work. IE simply reads "page cannot be found" no matter what I type. For what it's worth. The modum has stamped on it "Speedstream Ethernet Modum ADSL".

I also have to admit that I don't know what the following from the instructions means : "If you are using the Ethernet port all you need do is make sure your computer is set to DHCP."

And I am connecting the modum to the back of the computer via the ethernet port.

6. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Have you tried these steps?

HOW TO SET YOUR PC TO DHCP – WINDOWS XP
    1. Click on Start, Control Panel and click Network and Internet connections.
    2. Click on Network Connections
    3. Right Click 1 time on your Local Area Connection and Left Click 1 time on Properties.
    4. The following box will appear. Scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Highlight InternetProtocol and click on the Properties box.
    5. Select the following options:Obtain an IP address automatically &Obtain DNS Server automatically
    6. Click OK which will return you to the previous screen and hit OK again (do not hit cancel or use the‘x’ to exit otherwise your changes will be discarded).

Hope this helps!

7. D28

D28 Private E-2

Thanks for the kind advice. I tried it and still a no go. I was on the phone with SBC again and we tried both the automatically obtain option and we tried punching in the actual IP address, still a no go.

I'm stumped!

Any new suggestions?

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

On the bottom of the Modem, what is the model#? The Speedstream 5360 is a Bridge, not a modem, which means that you have to do PPPoE from the OS (Windows). Also, what lights are on and green on the modem?

9. D28

D28 Private E-2

The model # is 4100. the "power" "ethernet" and "DSL" lights are green. The "internet" and "activity" lights are not lit.

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If the DSL light is lit, then you need to log into the modem and set up your username and password for SBC, so that it will log into the SBC PPPoE network. The label on the bottom of the modem is the information you need in order to log into it.

11. D28

D28 Private E-2

OK I took the cowards way out... I unhooked my machine and brought it in to the IT guy at work. He said, as I understand it, that windows could not find my ethernet card, even though it was there and functioning properly. So he (perhaps somehow through the device manager?) "showed windows where it was located." Click, click, and everything works fine now -- at work anyway. I'll take it home this weekend and see if I can get it to work there. Whew!

Thanks you all for all your kind assistance. Keep up the good work!

12. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Most likely all he did was install the drivers for the Ethernet NIC, which is all it needed if it was showing an unknown device in Device Manager. Linksys NIC's are notorious for not being found by Windows, and need the drivers installed.

13. D28

D28 Private E-2

Yes, he said somehthing about installing the driver(s)! Is there such a thing as a diagnostic tool to know if drivers are installed & working? On unrelated issues, I know I have driver problems before (with printers and a scanner and sound).

14. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes, Everest is one that you can use to see what the device is. Belarc works for finding out what drivers and software are installed. As for your unit, check with Dell.com at the support site to make sure that you have the correct drivers installed for you particular machine. As for the scanner, that would require another thread to narrow down on that problem.

You may want to start a seperate thread about other problems, and that was things can be discussed in the seperate thread per problems other then this that you are having.

15. D28

D28 Private E-2

OK everything seems to be working properly. Thank you all so much for all your assistance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds