Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Command Failed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krit86lr, Apr 12, 2006.

1. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hi all. I'm running WinXP Pro SP2, and I think that maybe my HDD is failing. :rolleyes:
    I was resuming Windows from hibernation, and I got a black screen that said

Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Command Failed
    Press F1 to Resume

I don't know what this means, but I think that it's really bad. If anyone has some knowledgable suggestions it will be much appreciated. I'm not very good at troubleshooting hardware.

It may be helpful to note that over the last couple of weeks my machine has had to reboot itself 2 or 3 times when coming out of hibernation. I used an application that gave me the attached information, but I don't know how to read it.

Thank you for your time. :D
    K

Attached Files:

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

From a post on Daniweb:

Power up your system and enter BIOS setup. Disable 'S.M.A.R.T.

If your system will actually detect the drive and boot into Windows, immediately copy all your important data file over to the other hard drive, and then replace the drive!

S.M.A.R.T. stands for "Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology" and the report generated is an indication of impending drive failure.

Find the whole discussion here.

3. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hi Mada_Mility. Good links, thanks.

I backed up my whole computer 3 days ago, so I'm good on the backups. The link said that my HDD is failing, and others have told me the same thing.

The odd thing is that I have used 3 HDD diagnostic test, and all them report that my HDD is great!

How do I know what to do?
    K

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds