I have a problem :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plaidshorts, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Okay Im young and Im stupid with computers :) This is my problem:

Im on my computer for about an hour and then it randomly freezes. I restart it and a screen comes up that says "Reboot and select proper boot device" or "Overlocking failed"

To turn it on, I turn off the power for about half an hour and then when I start it up, it works. I dont want this to happen though anymore. It's been happening for about 2 weeks 3 times per day. Does anyone know the problem?

The computer is fairly new (got it last year) and I have Windows XP

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Need more info.

Is it overclocked? Is heat an issue? Just one Operating System? What are your system specs? etc..........

3. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Is this what you need?

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name MARLA
    User Name MARLEN

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
    Motherboard Name Asus P4P800S (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 WiFi, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Breeds Hill i848P
    System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (02/24/04)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter RADEON 9200 SE Family (Microsoft Corporation) (128 MB)
    Video Adapter RADEON 9200 SE SEC Family (Microsoft Corporation) (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 SE (RV280)
    Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 910M/910V/913V [19" LCD] (H9NX409373)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Storage:
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24D1
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive ST3120026AS (120 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
    Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 28003 MB (12034 MB free)
    D: (NTFS) 86467 MB (69967 MB free)
    Total Size 111.8 GB (80.1 GB free)

Input:
    Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
    Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (70.30.133.216)
    Modem SoftV92 Data Fax Modem

Peripherals:
    Printer hp psc 1300 series
    Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
    USB1 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]
    USB2 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-2/A-3]
    USB Device Motorola SURFboard SB5100 USB Cable Modem
    USB Device SiPix StyleCam Groove (still) #2
    USB Device SiPix StyleCam Groove (video)
    USB Device SiPix StyleCam Groove
    USB Device USB Audio Device
    USB Device USB Composite Device
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device

4. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Sensor Properties:
    Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)
    Motherboard Name Asus P4C800 / P4P800 / P4P8X

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 21 °C (70 °F)
    CPU 54 °C (129 °F)
    Seagate ST3120026AS 25 °C (77 °F)

Cooling Fans:
    CPU 2557 RPM

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.36 V
    +3.3 V 3.41 V
    +5 V 5.08 V
    +12 V 11.67 V
    +5 V Standby 5.03 V
    Debug Info F FF 84 FF
    Debug Info T 21 54 208
    Debug Info V 57 C0 D5 BD BC 40 82 (03)

5. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Could you post the model of the computer eg dell 3000 ect. :cool:

7. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Um Asus is what it says on my computer.. But is that what you need?
    Or the CPU is Intel Pentium 4, is that it??

8. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Motherboard Name Asus P4C800 / P4P800 / P4P8X

9. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Help please :)

10. Rikky

My reason for asking was to see if anyone else who has recently bought the same computer as you is having problems with it,a link to the computer store or site you bought it from would be helpfull or was this computer custon built?

The problem you are describing "overclocking failed" is a feature of ASUS motherboards it,the two main causes are automatic overclocking features your computer has enabled or a weak power supply,it could also be caused by overheating or bad memory,your cpu temp is slightly on the high side but pretty normal for a 3.0ghz p4

My advice would be to remove the side of the case first and clean out any dust thats accumulated over the past year and check all your fans are spinning to rule out overheating but your comp should still be under warranty and this may void it,so I'd check your warranty info first

To see if your comp is overheating run this program it will stress your cpu,if overheating is the problem it should lock up within 10 mins,monitor the temperature with whatever temp monitoring program you prefer I use speedfan but there are no labels on the temps eg cpu=,when running toast your cpu temp is the one that rises the fastest,post the temp your cpu reaches after 10 mins

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=337

http://majorgeeks.com/Toast_d867.html

I have also just read your manual and cant see any feature that can automatically control cpu frequency

http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800s-e-dx/e1383_p4p800s-e.pdf

11. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Okay, I will soon clean out my computer. The fan is working. I ran the first one and the temperature is 38 degrees.

12. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Private First Class

If you clean it out as Ricky suggests, then clean it out with a can of compressed air. You don't want to dust in there or anything! You could kill your computer with static electricity if you do that. Also, you could leave the side off and have a fan blowing in there. If the computer doesn't freeze then you know it is a temp problem.

13. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

For toast, it doesnt show temperature or anything? Just a fire guy

14. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Um I dont have a can of compressed air I think :(

Wait I dont understnad that side off with a fan blowing there?

Im sorry you people have to put up with me :(

15. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Also, you could leave the side off and have a fan blowing in there. If the computer doesn't freeze then you know it is a temp problem.

And dont you mean that if the computer DOES freeze?

16. Rikky

If your cpu is overheating your computer should lock up after around 15mins or around the same time as your previous lockups,if it dont it isnt and is ruled out,there are no temp monitors in toast,the box with the fire guy means its working,when you run toast a temperature in speedfan will start to rise rapidly,this is your cpu temperature,after 15 mins note the temperature,then let it run on for another 15mins,totalling 30mins if your comp can run toast for that long you can be pretty sure your comp isnt overheating,if you can run it for an hour or longer than your previous lockups you can be certain it isnt overheating

17. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Okay thank you :) I will do that right now

18. Rikky

could you also answer this :)

19. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Well the store we bought it from was a small store, I forget what it was called, sorry :( Nothing big like Future Shop or anything

20. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Just to make sure i have the speed fan thing right, I install BOTH programs and I run them both at the same time. Toast will made my computer work fast and speed fan will measure the temperature? And it says the temperature at the bottom right of the screen, correct? At the moment, it says 26

21. Rikky

Click that temp in the toolbar it will open the speedfan window and show your computers temps,ignore the little flame pictures next to the temps,now while watching the temps start toast,in seconds one temp will start to rise faster than all the others this is your cpu temp :)

22. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Hm I didnt watch to see which one goes up fast at the beginning? Shwould i start over? Is there a way to see which one it is without starting over? There is Temp 1(26), Temp 2(66), Temp 3(-48) and HDO(40)

23. Rikky

start again,watch the temps when you shutdown toast this your cpu temp will drop,after 5mins start toast again

24. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Temp 2 went from 66 to 57 when I turned off toast so do you think that is it?

25. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Now it is down to 53

26. Rikky

Yes thats it its pretty hot,but p4 are hot,see how long you can run toast for

27. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

28. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Right now it is

6 minutes: 65 C

29. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

10 minutes: 65 C, do I have to keep running it?

30. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

I have to go for a while, I will be back at 10 pm. Since my computer didnt freeze after 17 minutes, that means the problem isnt overheating right? What else could it be? Solutions? Thanks :D I REALLY appreciate this :)

31. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

32. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Sorry I post so much but I really want to fix this :(

33. Rikky

You just have to be patient mate:) I know its hard and want your computer fixed but random lockups are one the hardest problems to diagnose,especially when nothing pops out as being out of spec,in either voltage your vcore 1.36 "can go up to 1.525" and 12v "11.67" are both a little low,but I have seen computers with much worst run fine or temperature your cpu is running 65degrees under load which is pretty standard for a 3.0ghz p4 with the stock heatsink.

I'v been checking the asus support forum for anyone who has the same motherboard and problem,there are so many posts to check it could take quite a while

It does look like some kind of cpu error,running toast should have made your computer lockup if it was though so this has confused me further,under speedfan could you check all your voltages again and post them they are right next to the temperatures

You also nead to rule out memory as the problem run this program,download,unzip to your desktop,restart your computer,once restarted run the program,the restart will ensure you have the most available memory for it to test

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=350&file=1&evp=f5639906cc2420909e03f3754e187334

After you have ran the memory test could you run toast again but this time keep an eye on your vcore voltage,post what it reads a couple of minutes after you start toast
    :)

34. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Well I just ran MemTest for half and hour and there were no problems or errors :) I will do toast now

35. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

I need help with some other problems too please :) Sorry to be such a pain.

#1 I have Yahoo Toolbar installed and I want to uninstall it but it doesnt have it on the Add/Remove programs list
    #2 I have Macromedia Flash Player installed but every website I go to says I dont have it
    #3 I have Panda Software installed but I want to uninstall it but whenever I try, I get a screen that says "Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is currently not in use"

Thanks a bunch :)

36. Rikky

You really need to start a thread in the software forums for these,people have had alot of problems uninstalling panda antivirus start thread in the software forum "trouble uninstalling panda softare" is it the anitvirus:confused: if it is anti virus,you must have an antivirus running at all times when using the internet,check the spyware forum stickys,if you go to the macromedia site and download the latest player you know for sure you have it,if a site says you need to download it,its probably malicious software,so ignore

As for the lycos toolbar are you sure its the lycos toolbar?,it should be listed in add\remove programs,if it isnt you may have installed again malicious software,start a thread in the software forum "how to uninstall the lycos toolbar" ;) :)

37. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

The Vcore is 1.44 without toast and with toast, it is 1.39 after a few minutes
    Incase you need anything else, this is Speedscan on my computer after five minutes.

http://i2.tinypic.com/vh3syp.jpg

And thanks :) I will start threads on other boards.

38. Rikky

Hmmm I didnt see that one coming,is your cpu usage always at 50% when running toast,this is probably due to hyperthreading,it software emulates your cpu into running as two seperate cpu's,65 degrees 50% is pretty hot,I'll have to find an app that pushes your cpu to 100% for a true test

I'm going to bed now though so if anyone else on the forum wants to jump in please do,try running this test,use the options at the top to choose torture test,select small ftp's which will mostly push your cpu, and run it for half an hour while monitoring your temps

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4363&file=11&evp=ffc2a25c3011b055346f699a0c02444e

39. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Yeah, it is usually around 50%, give or take. I will try what you told me now :) Thanks a bunch

Good Night :)

40. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Im running Prime right now and it is still at 50%. When I put my mouse over it, it says CPUO 80%, CPUI 41%.

Its been five minutes and the temperature is around 70

(Just for my own record, started at 9:40)

41. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

5 minutes: 70 C
    10 minutes: 69 C
    15 minutes: 69 C

42. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

20 minutes-70 C
    25 minutes-70 C
    30 minutes-68 C

Always at around 50% and my computer did not freeze or crash :(

Also, I have been going on another board for advice also and I did all of this: http://forums.thetechguys.com/showthread.php?t=24874

Now I posted my hijack log and I am waiting for a reply. Do you want me to post it here too if it will help?

43. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Shoot I have some more problems now. My cpu is 50% all the time now without running toast or the other program so my computer is veryyy sloww. Also, when I start up the computer, the Windows XP loading screen is on for a heck of a long time, and sometimes it just freezes.

44. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Never mind, I think everything is good now :) The computer hasnt froze today at all and it's not running slow anymore :) Thanks so much!

45. Plaidshorts

Plaidshorts Private E-2

Im having the problem again. Please help, anyone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds