Removing GPU Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Welic, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Welic

Welic Private E-2

Okay here is my situation, I am installing my first water cooling system and it was easy enough to get my CPU heatsink off, and build and bleed the air out of my water cooling system. My problem is I moved onto my video card and got the mini-fan off but the GPU heatsink is not attached through screws or pins or any other easy to remove system. I noted a white/light grey compound between the GPU and the heatsink... So how do I remove it, if it is possible?

There are holes for the water block to be mounted so I assume that it was designed for some sort of cooling upgrade but I am afraid of damaging the chip. Thanks in advance.

Video card:
    Diamond Stealth S90 GeForceFX 5200

2. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

Have you tried gently twisting it in a circular motion?
    It may be that the goop has formed almost a vacuum, and you have to break that seal.
    If that doesn't work, you could try GENTLY prising it off with a screwdriver, making sure to put something between the card and the screwdriver to prevent damage.

3. Welic

Welic Private E-2

Thanks for the info. I was able to remove it though. The steps I took where as followed.

1. Remove Video card from case and place on a hard clean surface.
    2. Gently blow hot air onto the heatsink until it is just about hot enough that it is hard to touch.
    3. I put one of those useless value club cards under it and the gently on each side twisted the screwdriver until it popped off.
    4. I then cut the damn compound down with a razor blade.
    5. the rest I removed with uber-fine sandpaper and gentle scrapes with the razor blade and removing the particals with canned air and high alchol wipes.

4. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

That's the best use I've heard for a Club Card in quite a while ;-)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds