Random Freezing Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CujoMaster, Apr 12, 2006.

1. CujoMaster

CujoMaster Private E-2

Hi all - this is my 1st post - here is the deal - for no reason my computer will freeze up - can be on a regular old web page and bam she locks up - reboot and can be fine for hours or even days - I think it may be my video card starting to fail but it is not even getting pushed by some of the video graphic games I play sometimes - this one is by me - any suggs? Thanks in advance - here are my specs.

EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
    Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
    Report Type Report Wizard
    Computer ROD
    Generator HB2
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2006-04-12
    Time 23:00

Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name ROD
    User Name HB2

Motherboard:
    CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 3700+
    Motherboard Name Abit KU8 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset ULi/ALi M1689, AMD Hammer
    System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (06/27/05)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
    Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 927DF(I)/927MB(I)/997DF/997MB [19" CRT] (HCGXB07636)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter ULi/ALi M5455 AC'97 Audio Controller

Storage:
    IDE Controller ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller Advansys SCSI Host Adapter
    SCSI/RAID Controller ALi SATA/RAID Controller (M5289)
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120P0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
    Optical Drive BCD 40XH CD-ROM (40x CD-ROM)
    Optical Drive SONY CD-RW CRX145S SCSI CdRom Device (10x/4x/32x CD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (FAT32) 117211 MB (100306 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter IC Plus IP100 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Network Adapter LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter Version 1.0 (192.168.1.102)

Peripherals:
    Printer Adobe PDF
    USB1 Controller ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller
    USB2 Controller ULi/ALi M5273 USB 2.0 Host Controller

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have you read and completed this link firstly:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

May take a while but I do it every 2-3months to maintain sys stability/security and speed. Start with this but next time it crashes reboot and enter BIOS and check your "PC Health" (or something to that effect) screen and take mental note of temps/volts/RPMs' then enter OS and open EVEREST and check the same and see if values are similar and report these next time.

3. CujoMaster

CujoMaster Private E-2

O - started doing the steps you posted and froze - went to PC Health and shut down temp was 203F

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay we obviously have an overheating problem and your sys is hitting the "System Shutdown Temp" within PCHealth in your BIOS. It is shutting down to protect your hardware and is actually a good safety measure as you have observed.

If you locate your rear power switch and make sure you have ready access. Allow the system to cool down for a couple of hours and then reboot and go into BIOS > PCHealth (PCH) now look at the fan RPMs' are there values there??? It maybe your CPU Fan is not working and this could account for the heat. If there are values, eg ~2500, then hit your restart button and turn off at the rear of your sys.

Next step: Allow sys to cool for 1/2 hour. Turn all power off at back switch and make sure you can readily get to it, pull off your rhs cover. Make sure you have access so you can have a good look at things. Now power on and start up but this time have a look at all your fans, can you seem them spinning??? If uncertain place your hand 5-10cms above them and you should feel the draft. Once again to power off hit your reset on front of sys case and then power switch at rear.

Start with this and tell me what is happening.

5. CujoMaster

CujoMaster Private E-2

Ok - did what you said and here it is - it still said last shut down was 203F for some reason even though I shut it down at the PS -

there are values in the PC Health and they read

CPU Fan 1795
    CPU Core Voltage 1.55
    DDR Voltgage 2.67
    DDR VTT Voltgage 1.33
    AGP VDDQ voltgage 1.53
    ATX +12V = 12.27
    ATX +5V = 4.76
    ATX +3.3V = 3.32
    CPU Temp = 95F
    System Temp = 68F
    DWM Temp = 87

I can feel a slight draft from the fan and I do see it running

This is boggling me

Thanks

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

That 203F is possibly real when you use AV and some Spyware/Adware removal apps your system becomes under "load" (i.e. stressed so increased temps). Now you say "the fan" there should be more I have 5 + 1 for my PSU but you should have one around the back where the power switch is, the side and or the front where these other ones functioning?!?

Now the one that was moving with slight draft is this your CPU Fan (on the Heatsink) and what size is it?!? 95F is good but we need to ascertain the other fans and "make sure case flow" is fuctioning. Can't find my conversion calculator so next time post temps in C and tell me what the ambient temp is if you can.

7. CujoMaster

CujoMaster Private E-2

Ok I am a complete IDIOT - the 203F temp was the setting for 203F shutdown not the LAST shut down - I lowered it to 194F - I DL a CPU monitoring program freeware and it shows my stats and I beleive this is my issue - the CPU right now is running at 28C to 32C - looks good - on this monitoring program it shows warning colors and I have one under Voltages - there are 3 readings and settings - 5V is running at 5.2V - Core is at 1.56V - I/O is at 3.33V - the one in RED is 8.87V but is under a greyed out setting that shows +12V - I dont know what that voltage is or means or belongs to??? the CPU is at 28C right now - everything looks good on this monitor but the voltage one - do you have any idea what this could be? Am I getting low voltage somewhere causing a fault and freezing up? - Im sorry to take you through this other path but I do Appreciate any help you can give me.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Your learning and that is the important thing! I would even take it 176F=80C (found my calc).

As far as voltages go someone more experienced in this area will have to answer this question, sorry but I wont provide bad or misinformed advice.

Try to set it out more clearly the volts similar to the EVEREST output.

9. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Re: Random Freezing = May Assist

You could try with the below?

With my new XP Home [OEM] computer I experienced some simular problems and found it was related to the Add-Ons [found in = Tools = Manage Add-ons...]

The problem I had related only when viewing some Internet Explorer Web Pages and which gave me a complete computer freeze.

By experimenting I found by "Disabling" all of the "Add-Ons Currently Loaded in Internet Explorer " we have now have no problems ?

May Help!!

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

If your using IE you should download FireFox and just try it out, it grows on you and I soon realised it is a far superior browser, a lot quicker, safer, etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds