CD-ROM won't OPEN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by training4life, Apr 12, 2006.

1. training4life

training4life Sergeant

My CD-ROM won't open wether I open it through the computer the Efect command nor doing it manually. What should I do? There are no CD inside it. :rolleyes:

2. Komodo25

Komodo25 Private First Class

there should be a very small hole on the face of it....take a paper clip or pin...something small enough to push in there...it will open it for you....if its a USB drive make sure you power it off before doing this though

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Have you rebooted?

4. training4life

training4life Sergeant

Okay... I'll try...

5. training4life

training4life Sergeant

It still won't open! :(

6. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Get a longer paper clip or pin. You'll need to push in about 1 and a half inches. Maybe 2, and on some older drives you really have to push. Don't worry about breaking something, you can push as hard as possible and it won't break. If something does break from doing this you can rest assured that drive was beyond help anyways.

Also worth noting, there is no need to power the drive off to do this. You can do this with it running and it's perfectly safe, in your case you'd have to do it with it on for it to be of much use anyways. In fact you might find it easier to open if you push with the paper clip or pin and press the eject button at the same time.

Also worth noting, this is a common issue with CDROM drives and doing this won't fix it. It will just get it opened so you can put a disc in and use it. But each time you want to open it you'll have to repeat this process. Although sometimes drives like these will open properly IF a CD is inside, so you could keep using it normally considering you always have a CD in it.

Ultimately when this happens you end up having to buy a new drive as it costs much more to fix it then to buy a new one.

7. training4life

training4life Sergeant

Well.. I try... But the CD-ROM still won't open it would just blink (th lights) then nothing.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If confident in doing so then pull both the IDE and Power connectors from the drive then re-plug in... odd occasions the connection is not perfect, especially with the IDE ribbon cable.

also try a new or spare IDE cable to rule out a faulting cable.

9. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You must be using the wrong hole or you simply arn't pushing hard enough, all cdroms have this hole for manually opening the drive. It works mechanicly so it should work even if every single piece of electronics is broken in it.

Are you sure you're using a hole that is about the width of a paper clip and half a CM (quater inch) below the drive opening? Halo's suggestions could work, but the drive should be opening with this method as well.

From the sounds of it though you should just look into buying a new drive. A dual layer DVD burner only costs about $30 these days anyways.

10. zephra

zephra Private First Class

Remove cd rom from computer.open top cover.man . move cd open.Feel mech. mech. if it feels ok reinstall and test again

11. training4life

training4life Sergeant

Well I've tried everything you've said except that removing stuff but it won't work! :(

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Ok try in another PC if possible to rule out motherboard controller/IDE connection fault.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds