ATI 1600 Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N4646W, Apr 14, 2006.

1. N4646W

N4646W Private E-2

I'm on my 3rd card. First card was toast, 2nd card had capicitor laying in bottom of package, 3rd card works with only one monitor, w/2nd monitor you get BSD (check your adaptor). I also noticed on all three cards that there is a thermal pad and chip on the oppsite side of the card from the heat sink. Is this just a bad lot of cards or is there a problem inherent in the 1600. There is nothing on the ATI site. Card is a great improvement over my 8500 which died, but I need both monitors.

When I returned the card with the cap off, the tech and I could see that the solder joint was cold, a slight bit of pressure on the cap next to it revealed that it also had a cold solder. Getting a little perplexed at having to return for a forth card in one week.

Regards,

N4646W

2. BubbaTheHut

BubbaTheHut Private E-2

Sorry to here about your vidcard death syndrom. I am curious to know what brand of card it is. As for you nondual monitor support. Maybe you jsut got another dud?

3. N4646W

N4646W Private E-2

It's an ATI 1600 Pro.

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Is it made by ATI, or does it just have an ATI chip inside it? There are other manufacturers that make ATI video cards, such as Sapphire and Powercolor.

5. N4646W

N4646W Private E-2

It is an "ATI" card.

6. N4646W

N4646W Private E-2

Well after scouting the net, it seems that there is a heat sink that goes on this thermal pad. So, it appears that this lot of cards not only suffered from cold solder joints, and they also left off the heat sink.

Finally got in touch with ATI, will have to wait till next week to see what they have to say.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds