Artifacts b/c of HW T&L??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Just_John, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Just_John

Just_John Private E-2

First post, so please bare with me..

Okay, i'm having serious artifact problems in certain games.. by using 3DAnalyze i managed to find out that i no longer have these problems when HW T&L is disabled..
    The bad part is that by using 3DAnalyze framerate drops too low to be able to play anything..

Don't think there's anything more i can say, but if any of you want to know more, just ask..

Here are my system specs (nothing is o/c'd):
    ECS K7VTA3 (i know, but i can't afford anything else!!)
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+ @ 1794MHz
    512 MB DDR @ 333MHz
    Leadtek Winfast A6600 TD 128MB
    HDD WDC 250 GB ATA100
    Combo Sony
    Kill Power LC-B400ATX power supply (400W) (16A on +12V)

Thing to remember: The mobo supports only AGP 4x, but in some games (ie: FarCry) the image gets messed up badly (hard to explain, gets reddish and greenish, and is flipping around), so i have to force it down to 2x from BIOS.. The video card is a 8x, probably 4x,2x downward compatible.. i've played quite a few games with this config (including Most Wanted and FarCry - there was a time when they worked).

My non-pro opinion: power supply's dying on me.. used a few monitoring softs, like MBM5, but all gave different no's, so i'm just as "bright" as i was before..

I wanna be sure what the problem is before i invest $100 or so in a Chieftec power supply..

Thanks in advance, with apologies for the long post,
    John.

2. BubbaTheHut

BubbaTheHut Private E-2

How new is your vid card? Did you just get it or have you had it for a while. A couple of things might be going wrong. If the card is new it could be a dud. Just busted. another thing to check is if the card is overheating. Abmient tems might be no high witch can cause the artifacts. stressfull games will make your card heat up more and cause artigacts. Try replace the thermal compound on the card with something like AS5. It might help. Another thing you could do is take the case side off and see if that helps lower case temps.

3. Just_John

Just_John Private E-2

It's about 1 year old, Winfox says it's not overheating (40 C, going up to 50 C on load).. My case sides are always off (i always keep it like this)..

Video card's cooling system is a lil' noisy, but i don't wanna change it just yet (the card still has some warranty).

Oh, almost forgot: AS5??

Thanks for the fast reply,
    John

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds