system.ini

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chickenhawk, Apr 14, 2006.

1. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Private E-2

Hello, my desktop Windows98 SE was having trouble occasionally shutting down. I would get to the 'windows is shutting down' screen and then you would have to hold the power button in to shut it down. Then whe you turned it on it would scan disk to check for errors which it would do without a problem until the just now. About half way through scandisk it encounters a problem and ask you to rescan once windows comes up. then it defaults to a dos screen with this message
    'Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The Windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file. C:\WINDOWS\system\VMM32\ifsmgr.VXD Press any key to continue'

If you press a key it just repeats this message. I have tried booting it up in safe mode with the same result. I have also tried using GoBack but it says that there are no dates before this incident took place. I have seen multiple respones to this problem at microsoft windows help page but all of them mention that it is risky and they only mention how to do it from windows which I can not get to open right now since it just gets to this message on a dos screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. asturnacle

asturnacle Private E-2

chickenhawk;

ur question may get a better answer on the software side of the forum (this site (Software).

asturnacle

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds