Reformatting Hard Drive and Installing New OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lynnedurb, Apr 14, 2006.

1. lynnedurb

lynnedurb Private E-2

I want to help my dad reformat his hard drive. He currently has windows ME but I would like to install XP. Is there any problem with doing this or any helpful hints or tips I should be aware of? Will I need to download drivers? Thanks.

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You should be fine. XP has better drive support then ME. Just backup what you want, format and then install. Odds are windows will find and install all the drivers you need automaticly. If not, the drivers you need would be on CD's that came with the system. But it's unlikely you'll need to hunt any down.

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Before you go too far, load ME, insert the XP cd & do a compatability test. A box should pop up with that option.

As for drivers if it is non microsoft, eg HP printer then you will have to hunt down the XP driver from their site. As Coco said check the CD's you already have for the XP drivers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds