GFX card issue - System crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tehPowA, Apr 14, 2006.

1. tehPowA

tehPowA Private E-2

Well I hope this is a GFX card issue anyway:rolleyes: .

I'll begin with my computer specs:

Windows XP Professional
    450W Power Supply
    2.00 GHz AMD Athlon XP
    80 GB Hard Drive Capacity
    2x 512MB Elixir PC2700 RAM
    Gigabyte GA-7VA-A 1.x Mobo
    ATI Radeon 9600XT (Running drivers 6.1 at the moment)

My problem persists mainly when i'm playing games but has happened once when simply browsing the internet. I get a black screen for a couple of seconds before I get a 'No signal' prompt on my monitor. Almost as if my computer is turned off. Shortly after this my computer restarts itself but sometimes this has to be done manually. If i'm listening to music or in-game sounds i still hear these right until my system restarts.

The problems began (I think) when i updated my ATI drivers to the latest Catalyst drivers. I followed a tweak guide to ensure i removed these drivers correctly before trying the omega drivers and then reverting back to the drivers on my CD supplied with the card. I still got the problem with these and so I tried some more up-to-date drivers. Still no luck with these.
    I spoke to some friends about it and they recommended de-dusting my GFX card and CPU fan, I did this but the problem still persists. I don't think overheating is the problem because the temperature seems quite cool as I also have a fan on the side of my case.

I hope somebody can help me with this it's driving me mad.:mad:

2. tehPowA

tehPowA Private E-2

I just defragged and did an adaware scan to rule out those as a cause of the problem i'm having. Any ideas?

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

First thought, Heat issues
    Just because you have a fan on the side of the case doesnt mean squat.
    What matters is Temp's, what are your temps?
    Then, are your temp readings accurate?

Is your V card seated properly?
    Check for loose connections
    Is your PSU providing good stable voltages & enough quality +12v amps?

4. tehPowA

tehPowA Private E-2

Thanks for the reply, how do i accurately check the temperatures of my graphics card and CPU?

EDIT: I checked the card was seated properly and made sure all wires were in securely when i de-dusted everything.

5. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

hmm try switching to the omegadrives for ati www.omegadrivers.net they work charms for me i used to use catalyst but it would crash... as for temps use speed fan for cpu and 9600 s dont have heat sensors

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Your Graphics card might not be able to monitor it's temps, I don't think the 9600 have sensors?? anything is possible
    The first place to check CPU temps is BIOS.
    Then compare with Everest:
    http://majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html
    What ever sensors you have Everest should be able to pick em up.
    Gigabyte may have a utility to monitor temps.
    Some peoples use Speed Fan:
    http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=337

Any software/utility that can monitor temps/fan speed and the likes of, are limited to the accuracy of the MOBO/Chipset/Graphics card/HDD sensors.

You can aslo touch your Hardware too see if it's Hot, ground your self first dont want any electrostatic shock/discharge.

Check all your cables again, R & R your V card, sometimes two times is a charm:D

7. xxmonkey321xx

xxmonkey321xx Private E-2

also, to take voltage, just get a cheap digital voltmeter from radioshack or your local hardware store

8. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Re: GFX card issue - Could Try?

To confirm if a ''Heat Possibility''
    Yes, I had simular problem a few weeks ago with a new computer tower I had specially built by a firm in Sydney NSW!

To check if it was a heat issue I removed the side from the computer and used a household desktop fan [about 150mm away from the motherboard] to blow cool air over within the computer units.

I the reset the Graphics Card ''Acceleration'' to maximum!
    Yes then ran the computer and I found the DVD did play all the way through!!!

With further investigation I found the extendable vent tube in carrier transport [350 miles] must have rattled/unlocked/closed/shortened the extension. I measured the extension to the appropriate length and used insulation tape to lock same in position.
    Refitted the cover and , yes, I found computer did play the DVD all OK

Since then I purchased and fitted a "Mainboard Cooler" [One that you fit in the extra front vacant floppy drive receptacle]
    It measures 250mm long and after insertion locates its self close low near the motherboard and Graphics Card
    This New Fan unit now extracts a good flow of air from the lower section of Motherboard and Graphics Card extracting out through the front of computer.

Hope will assist
    Maybeok
    [Australia]

9. tehPowA

tehPowA Private E-2

I'm quite sure that the problem I'm having is not heat based anymore. I bought a new 80mm fan and placed it directly under my graphics card blasting cold air onto it. When I used the Everest program the temperature of my card had lowerd by a good 8 degrees to around 29-31 degrees. Unless this temperature is in fact still high for a graphics card then maybe I'm wrong and it is something to do with overheating.

Looks like I have to empty the change out of my pockets and search for another graphics card. Unless there is more suggestions?

@ geekedittilitGHz:
    I indicated I'd already tried using the omega drivers in my first post.

10. tehPowA

tehPowA Private E-2

I'm still having the crashing problems even when my fan is positioned as stated above. Anybody have any further ideas?

11. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

Sounds to me that you just may need a new graphics card....or maybe borrow a friends just to rule everything else out?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds