Downloading programs/software from the internet.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wvudewey, Apr 14, 2006.

1. wvudewey

wvudewey Private E-2

I have been trying to download software and programs from the internet and when I click on the downloads button, I get the same message (see below). It doens't matter what the program or the site, I get the same error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Duane

You are not authorized to view this page
    You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.pctools.com home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Internet Explorer

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

First off try this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q286405

basically its delete your temp internet files.

Also some info like whats your OS and Browser?
    Have you installed anything new before this started happening, like popup blockers, web accellerators or antivirus?
    Is this PC in a corporate enviroment?

you could check that your browsers security settings are set to medium, to do this goto Tools > Internet Options > Security Tab > see if your settings are set to High, set to medium which is default.

3. wvudewey

wvudewey Private E-2

I am running windows xp, and I have Zone Alarm which I have had for about a year and I also downloaded a antivirus software (etrust from Computer associates) about 4 months ago. I have downloaded things since I put in this antivirus software and it worked fine. I also tried foxfire browser and got the same results too. But I pretty much use Internet Explorer for my browser. I tried the options below but it didn't help. My security is on the default as well and this is a home computer. Thanks for the help.

Duane

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Only things I can think of that could cause this are,

Do you have a popup blocker / Toolbar ( eg. yahoo, google )?
    Disable and try

Which version of ZoneAlarm?
    Turn off or disable Zone Alarm and try again to download as a test to try and narrow down the issue.

even thos these were all working 4mths ago one of the updates to these programs may have upset a setting.

I would also as routine course run these steps to check for malware as a possible cause. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 but dont post any logs, just let us know if any of the scans showed and Malware/Viri/Spyware.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds