Whats that Smell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Welic, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Welic

Welic Private E-2

Alright, here is my deal, I installed my first water cooling system not long ago and it is working like a charm (60-64c to 34-38c). I intent to do some minor overclocking just so I can get my hand into it (I have not overclocked yet). Well last night I noticed an unusual smell coming from my case, it smelled a lot like anti-freeze. I turned my PC off and opened it and the smell was stronger. I checked all the tubing and all of the water blocks and radiators for signs of water but I could not find any. Is this part of my water cooling system just setting in or do I have a sneaky leak on my hands? Thanks ahead of time.

2. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

are you using antifreeze as your coolant?

If so... it seems you must have a very tiny/slow leak if you couldn't find it. Probably something leaked out a drop or 2 and it hit the hot metal of the waterblock and vapourized... giving you the smell.

3. Welic

Welic Private E-2

My kit came with an anti-freeze solution. I will keep an eye out for a small leak but I don't always have the smell. Also if the water block is about 34-38c how is it vapourizing so fast, or is that something watercooling anti-freeze does? Thanks for the response by the way. (also I haven't noticed a drop in the coolent level)

4. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

it was likely on a drop or 2. 34-38C is close to 100F.... and think how fast liquids 'dry up' in that heat. Just a drop of Antifreeze could have been spilt (that you didn't know about while filling the kit), and that made the smell.

5. firestorm254

firestorm254 Private E-2

you could try using something that would absorb the antifreeze and put it in the bottom of yor case and see if anything shows up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds