my new powersupply plug dosn't fit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtoolman, Apr 16, 2006.

1. jtoolman

jtoolman Private E-2

i purchased a new moterboard and processor from compusa the a bought a tower with the power supply already in the case from microcenter. but the large plug from the power supply is 4 prongs to small i thought these things were standard is there a adapter or do i need a special power supply? can someone help the motherboard is a MSI PM8M3-V i looked all over the website for the motherboard i cant find much info i dont know where else to look the motherboard has 24 pins for the plug the plug fits from the right side but leaves the left end 4 pins exposed can i still use it?i am not sure what to do any advice ....please...jim

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

You need to buy an 24 pin PSU

Most PSU that come with case/tower are Generic junk anyway
    A good stable PC need's a Good Quality PSU

3. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Private First Class

depending on the psu, like if it has an additional 4 pin power connector that you can plug into the motherboard elsewhere (usually close the the processor) then it is generally workable. many motherboards are backwards compatible with 20pin psu's, which i only learned btw cause i felt brave and didnt feel like returning my psu, lol

4. jtoolman

jtoolman Private E-2

so i can plug the 20 pin plug from the power supply to the 24 pin connector on the motherboard

5. darkhorizon

as long as the power supply you have has a 4 pin connector that is required for like ever other atx motherboard in america and there is a spot for it on your motherboard, then yes. read the manual on the motherboard and see if it says it is backwards compatible with 20pin psu's to be certain

6. jtoolman

jtoolman Private E-2

yes i read the manual it says i can use the 20 pin plug and shows details i didnt think of looking in the manual i just paniced ...thanks alot...it also has the 4 pin plug for 12 volt

7. jtoolman

jtoolman Private E-2

the manual says i can use the plug and gives details the 4 pin plug for 12 volt also is there i didnt think of looking in the manual i had to panic i guess thanks alot

8. darkhorizon

lol, sure no prob, i paniced too the first time this happened to me. i had a signed contract for a computer that was due in like 2 days and i ordered the parts online, and it didnt connect, i thought i was going to have a heart attack. i was like "screw this, im seein' if it works anyway" cause i wasnt about to send parts back and wait like 2 weeks, then it worked i was like *phew* and THEN i decided to read the manual.. which had all the useful info in it, lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds