Slave Drive showing up as RAW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by centavo, Apr 16, 2006.

1. centavo

centavo Private E-2

Today I defrag my comp and also installed some of the new updates from microsoft.com shortly after I rebooted my computer and I couldn't access anything on my slave drive. The hard drive properties say that it's formatted as RAW, and every time I try to open the F:\ drive, it asks to format. I don't think I've lost any files because Windows still recognizes that there's still a hard drive, and when I reboot, I don't get any crap about a failed disk. Does anyone know how I can recover my data, or somehow fix it so it works again?

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Does anyone know how I can recover my data, or somehow fix it so it works again? <<centavo

Are you by any chance using Win XP or Win Millennium Edition [ME]?
    If so, have you tried using the System Restore tool to return your computer to a previous working state? The reason that I ask is that usually Microsoft Update generally automatically sets a system restore point prior to installing [even with minor updates].

Good Luck!

3. centavo

centavo Private E-2

Yes, I do have Windows XP home Edition. I tried System Restore and before it confirms my selection it tells me that changes to that Disk cannot be changed cause it was either turned off or removed. Which neither is the case.

4. centavo

centavo Private E-2

It does Restore the C drive though but not the F (which is the one that is messed up)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to Disk management.

Start, run diskmgmt.msc.

What does it show the drive as?

6. centavo

centavo Private E-2

Its shows it as
    Volume......Layout......Type......File System......Status......Capacity
    ....(F: )....Partition.....Basic......(its blank)..Healthy (Active)...76.33 GB

Free Space.....% Free......Fault Tolerance.....Overhead
    ..76.33GB...........100%............No..................0%

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Below that, second column. Does it show it as unpartitioned space?

8. centavo

centavo Private E-2

I don't see the word unpartition anywhere there.

9. centavo

centavo Private E-2

Still no idea what's wrong with drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds