New laptop doesn't recognize External HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pahprints, Apr 16, 2006.

1. pahprints

pahprints Private E-2

I just purchased a HP nc6120, with WinXP2. I have a Seagate USB external hard drive, which I want to use to back up the laptop as well as my desktop pc.

The desktop pc recognizes the external unit, creates a new drive mapping, etc. When I attach the unit to the laptop, no recognition occurs. The ext hdd does not appear in the my computer-->manage--->storage--->disk management list. I've rebooted the computer with the unit attached, to no avail. I also tried connecting it after the computer booted. Same result.

My intention is to partition the external hdd using one partition as backup for the desktop, and the other for the laptop.

My question is two fold:

Is the laptop not recognizing the external hdd because I've got information on it from the desktop?

If so, would partitioning it on the destop, and then attaching the unit to the laptop help?

Both computers are using WinXP2. Thanks.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I would check the laptop's bios for anything concerning USB. It being recognized by the desk top show that the drive is working properly!:)

3. pahprints

pahprints Private E-2

Thank you. Works fine now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds