computer crash, won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coleProtocol, Apr 17, 2006.

1. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

Hello, I have a weird problem, and I hope I'm just overlooking something, but...

I don't know if this first part has anything at all to do with it, but this is when it crashed. My Netgear drivers won't working, so I was trying to reinstall them (which I have done before successfully), and my computer, after Microsoft "updating" the drivers (which, when done with these network drivers, sends my computer into a restart loop until I unplug my USB wireless reciever; again, something I have gone through and fixed before), randomly crashed, like when you unplug it from an outlet, while I was in Windows. I don't remember exactly what I was doing at the time, maybe trying to connect to the internet or reinstalling the drivers, but nothing major.

Anyway, it won't start back up and I don't know what to do. Everything in it is custom except the hard drive, so I have no free support line to call or anything. The power supply and surge protector are both on, and I've tried restarting both with 48 hours to cool down while I was on vacation. I've had a power supply melt on me before, and you could smell it throughout the whole room, but this time, you can't smell anything from it if you put your nose to it. Everything inside seems connected as it's supposed to be; I even tried switching power cables with my monitor's, but still nothing.

Here are my specs:

Abit IC-7 motherboard
    1.5 GB RAM (two 256's and two 512's)
    NVidia GeForce FX 5500 w/256 mb RAM

Thanks for any help in advance, I really need it.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

When you say it won't start up, do you mean nothing happens when you turn it on, it won't boot into Windows, or what?

3. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

I mean like when I press the power button, nothing happens. Nothing turns on, no fans, no lights, no power; the same effect as if it weren't plugged in. The small light on the motherboard doesn't even turn on when the power supply is switched on, which makes me wonder if it's something to do with the power supply, or even further back such as the power cable. Hmm...maybe it's the outlet? The surge protector works, but maybe something in that specific spot in it is wrong...I'm not at the house of this computer right now, but I'll try plugging it straight into the wall when I can.

Well, aside from that, any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem?

4. stardis

stardis Private E-2

5. CujoMaster

CujoMaster Private E-2

I just had a similar issue - rebooting from random crash and then nothing - mine was a PS out of nowwhere went dead - my PS was an Ultra 400w and only 1 year old but they sometimes just go bad - bought a Antec 480wPS and fired right up - it's strange that you too have random crash too - I have a Abit KU8 - I think I will post on this subject

Running
    AMD 3700
    1 Gig ram PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3
    Geforce 5700 Ultra DDR2 128 meg
    Maxtor 120 gig 7200 rpm HD

Good luck

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I'm willing to put money on it being the power supply. Try another if you can.

7. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

Okay, thanks to everyone. I'll try ordering a new power supply / trying out another one / testing my own to see if the power supply is the problem...from what you all said, I guess it is, which is too bad, because this one was probably less than a year old. Thanks again for the help, I'll post back with an update as soon as I try it out.

8. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

Sweet, problem fixed. You were all right, it was the power supply. Guess I just had a bad one. Thanks for your help.

9. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

We're not called geeks for nuttin! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds