What is more important?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tubnotub1, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Tubnotub1

Tubnotub1 Private First Class

What is more important, a Higher CPU Clock Speed, or Tighter RAM Timings. Right now I can get my CPU up to 2664 MHZ while the ram is running at timings of 2.5,3,3,6. Would loosening up the ram timings while upping the CPU speed be beneficial, or would the performance loss from loosening up the ram timings negate that of speeding up the CPU. Ram is PC3200, running currently at 444 due to FSB OC. Any input would be great!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Clock speed.

3. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

Clock speed hands down... but there does come a point where looser RAM timings will end up hurting your OC.

4. Tubnotub1

Tubnotub1 Private First Class

So, at what point will the loosening of ram timings be so degrading to the OC that there is no point in going any further. My current ram timings are 2.5/3/3/6/2T, i have 2 gigs of Corsair XMS PRO, 400, running at 452 due to HT OC. I see minor instability right now (ie, can pass all CPU torture tests, super pi, burn in, 3dmark 06, OTHER than Prime95) this however, doesnt seem to be a problem as i have not had any BSOD's or instability durning gameplay. This OC puts my 2.4ghz proc up too a 2.7, respectable im sure, im just wondering how much further i can push up the OC, while loosening the ram timings, and still see a positive effect on gameplay. Is there any set number, or am I getting to the point where its just trial and error... and a whole lot of benchmarking? Thanks for the advice so far!

5. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

Use something like SiSoft SANDRA. It tests your whole system. When you up the FSB, it ups important things like the RAM bandwidth. However, when you loosen timings, it lowers the bandwidth. There eventually is a point where you start losing too much RAM bandwidth for the overclock to be effective.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Higher clock speed most definatley as this will give a greater performance boost of say 10-20% in comparison to 2-5%.

Also you should use memtest86 (OC forum sticky) this will specifically test the memory system (RAM, L1 and L2). It will generally pick up the slightest errors wrt memory system that other stability/benchmarking wont and will indicate instability potential. From waht I have gathered from overclock.net most serious OC will loosen the timings to say 3-4-4-10 and then push there OC as high as possible. They may tighten the timings after "hitting the wall" but this does lead to greater instability potential. Better to have faster overall clock frequincies than tighter timing unless you don't OC.

Here is an article on tight timings vs. OC exploring this ideal:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/31/tight_timings_vs_high_clock_frequencies/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds