Wired Home Network - Nintendo Wi-fi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by murphy35, Apr 17, 2006.

1. murphy35

murphy35 Private E-2

I have a Linksys *wired* router model #BEFSR41.

I have wireless internet for my ISP. The wireless connection comes in from the outside to the router and is then split off to (1) XP computer and (2) Windows 98 computers and an X-box.

I finally got the home network up and running - file and printer sharing - as well as internet connection.

When I install the Nintendo DS Wi-fi USB connector - the network disappears. Gone. Settings and all. The internet connection *does* stay on for all the computers.

(Btw: the wi-fi usb connector ONLY works on XP).

Contacted Nintendo and they said to change my router settings from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1

This didn't change anything.

Finally, took down the firewall - and everything works perfectly - the wi-fi connection for the Nintendo DS and the home network.

Now I don't have a firewall. I'm not comfortable with that - especially since we have wireless internet. But... I have my network up and running.

The alernative that nintendo gives me? Get a wireless router and wireless ethernet cards so that I don't have to use the usb connector. Um... that's what the usb connector was *designed* for - wired networks.

Is there a fix out there so that I can still have a firewall - or do I have this set up completely wrong?

Any help would be so very helpful. I cannot find the fix for this problem.

If you need any additonal info - just ask.

Thanks,

Jenn

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I have a Linksys wgr54t (i think) WAP and the DS is fine with it. You can stay wired and just DS wirelessly.. but like you stated you bought the USB adapter for this specific reason.

What firewall are you running?

3. murphy35

murphy35 Private E-2

The firewall I'm running is the one built in to the security settings on the XP.

I haven't messed with any of the security settings on the 98's - I don't think they have much anyways.

So the one that I turned off is just the basic XP one.

Thanks!

Jenn

4. foogoo

You need not feel that secure behind windows firewall anyway. Might try ZoneAlarm (free), Nortons(pay), or Outpost(free?).
    With ZA you'd have an easier time configuring access for the connection sharing and allow rights...
    After installing ZA you'll be asked if "xx.xx.xx.xx" network is 'trusted" and if the IP shown is your local network - say yes and file sharing will still be available... the good thing about ZA is it pops up and notifies you of who/what wants on your network.

5. foogoo

6. murphy35

murphy35 Private E-2

Will give Zone Alarm a try - sounds like you have a lot more control than you do with the windows automatic one.

I also read the link - and it's pretty much saying it's gonna screw up things. LOL

I also wanted to point out, where I didn't before, on the Windows xp firewall, there are "exceptions" - the wi-fi connecter WAS selected as an exception. Obviously that didn't work well.

Will go check out zone alarm.

Thanks for your help!

Jenn

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds