Can't Install Anything

Discussion in 'Software' started by mbmadiw, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I have been trying to install Norton on a computer. When I try to install it (or anything else), I get this error:

The MSI Installer is currently disabled via Group Policy. Please change this policy before attempting this action again.

Any clues for me? I've looked in regedit, but wasn't sure exactly where to look, and didn't want to make things worse.

This computer is running Windows XP Home, and is not on a server, but is peer-to-peer networked. No one has deliberately set anything to restrict services of any kind.

I previously had a tough time getting the 2002 version of Norton OFF of the computer. Luckily, someone in the forum helped me by pointing me to a tool to remove it, as the regular ways didn't work.

2. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I'm feeling like I'm a nerd (not a geek), because no one is answering my question in either of my posts on this since last Friday. If I gave into peer pressure and drank beer, would I be more popular and get the answers?

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

4. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I tried the dial-a-fix and no luck there. I've searched the Microsoft Support knowlegde base and found nothing that has worked. So, I looked at the Automatic Updates, which were not current. I was able to download everything, but they all failed installation. The beer is looking better and better . . .

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You might try this

1. On the Start menu, click Run.

2. In the Open box, type msiexec /unreg, and then press ENTER.

3. On the Start menu, click Run.

4. In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

Steve

6. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

That's a big, fat no-go on the instructions you gave me. Didn't work. :mad: Was that unregistering and re-registering the Installer or something? The dial-a-fix tool included that and didn't work either. I appreciate the effort! Got any other possibilities?

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

1. Go to "Start" -> "Run" , type services.msc and press on "Enter" button.

2. Double-click on the service named "Windows Installer".

3. Check the value in the "Startup type:" field. If it's currently set to "Disabled", change it by selecting "Manual" from the drop-down box.

Steve

8. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

It's already set to Manual. Am I screwed?

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

just a sec,

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

11. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

Believe it or not, I tried that while I was waiting. Didn't work! Any hope on this? Thanks a lot for your time!

12. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

I have not the slightest idea if this will help, but it couldn't hurt to try.
    Start>Help..type group policy in the search box
    Under Pick a task click: 'Configure Windows Installer Group Policy options'
    You'll see THIS:
    Where?(expanded)
    >applicable policy name
    >Computer Configuration
    >Administrative Templates
    >Windows Components
    >Windows Installer
    In the details window, double-click one of the following policies:
    *Disable Windows Installer (see if THIS is set)
    Always install with elevated privileges
    Disable rollback
    Disable browse dialog box for new source
    Disable patching
    Disable IE security prompt for Windows Installer scripts
    *Enable user control over installs* (set this?)
    Enable user to browse for source while elevated
    Enable user to use media source while elevated
    Enable user to patch elevated products
    Allow admin to install from Terminal Services session
    Cache transforms in secure location on workstation
    *Disallow user installs (see if THIS is set)
    Disable creation of System Restore checkpoint
    Logging
    In the Group Policy Property dialog box, set the options you want to use, and then click OK.
    Notes:
    To open Group Policy to edit the local Group Policy object, click >Start>Run, type gpedit.msc >Enter (I do not have this function either so I don't know what you'd see)

13. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

THAT DID IT! Thank you so much. I couldn't figure out where to get to all of that stuff related to group policy and Windows Installer. I changed all three of them to disabled and it worked. I never went in and enabled them, but whatever!

THANKS!

14. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Good show!
    ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds