Graphic problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by funky munky, Apr 17, 2006.

1. funky munky

funky munky Staff Sergeant

I bought a radeon 9000 agp i put it into my computer kept my monitor pluged into my onboard graphics but it stayed blank then i pluged my monitor into the radeon but it stayed blank how do i install the radeon without plugging it in?

Is there a problem wioth the card? or am i doing something wrong?

Also does anyone know where i can get the drivers for the card as the ati site dosent have them.

cheers

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

if using onboard GFX initially its possible that on some mobos they may not auto switch over to the AGP slot and you'll neet to check a Bios setting and turn off onboard,

Before installing the new card you should uninstall the onboard driver, you can delete this from Device Manager, then shutdown, install the AGP and plug your monitor into the AGP card, check Bios for GFX option settings on first boot, save and exit to continue the boot, XP or the OS your using will generally install the default MS drivers so get the latest drivers for full options on resolution and screen sizes.

the 9000 will use the unified Ati drivers which cover nearly all the card types.

available here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4038.html

or at ATi if a different OS.

3. funky munky

I'l give it a go tommorow its a bit late to be pulling my pc around but il let you know how i get on cheers for the advice

4. funky munky

if the radeon graphics card dosent work how would i go back to using the onboard?

5. DavidGP

If your Bios or motherboard automatically switches from onboard to AGP slot then all you need to do is uninstall the ATi drivers then remove the card and reboot, if the Bios need to be set to boot to onboard gfx then again un-install the Ati driver software, shutdown, pull the card and reboot > then install the onbaord gfx drivers.

6. funky munky

If i uninstall the onboard graphics then install the radeon and it dosent work how will i see what im doing if the onboard is uninstalled?

I'm really sorry if im being stupid but ive never installed a graphics card before and im worried about not being able to see anything on the screen if i screw up.

7. funky munky

Ive done it now thanks for the help :D

8. DavidGP

Sorry Funky... I got sidetracked in work ( 2nd monitor on work PC went off GFX card died again ), knew I was ment to reply to something Ooops™

what steps did you follow and did you install the ATi card? and glad its all working :)

9. funky munky

i downloaded the drivers left them on the desktop then restarted into bios switch the setting to apg saved it then went into windows uninstalled the onboard shutdown installed the card booted up .
    When it booted up the screen was pink so i installed the drivers still didnt change the screen colour then i realised i was using a tv/monitor so i switched to 60htz refresh rate now its perfect.

Cheers man

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds