heatsink meltdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brown132, Apr 17, 2006.

1. brown132

brown132 Private E-2

I have been having problems with my pc and was worried about the cpu temp so i changed my fan and heat sink for a spare i had, the fan dosent spin as quick as the previous one but the heat sink is all copper the old one had a copper plate then an ally body i think but when looking at the underside of the old one the plates are white from heat and have gone all wavy from heat aswell is this a normal thing or is this a heat problem anyone know cheers.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heat is definitely a problem! Heat, moisture, shock and dust are the worst things for any electronic components.

Also, I can't say anything about the "waves" in the heat sink, but are you sure that it isn't white from the thermal paste? You probably already realize, but you should have a thin layer of thermal compound between heatsink and CPU. This ensures better contact, and more efficient heat transfer.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

If it isn't the thermal paste it doesn't sound normal it takes a great deal of heat to cause a metal to buckle and warp like you are explaing I would definately monitor this for a while.

4. brown132

brown132 Private E-2

it is definately heat damage not paste the temp seems to stay the same with the other heatsink in ive changed my graphics card for an old one i had knocking around and my freezing seems to have stopped and the graphics just break down instead now and goes into safe mode so i think my main problem may not be the heat i thought it was ?

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Wrt to metal 100C is boiling point for water but for Cooper (CU) is 2567C;
    http://www.noblemind.com/search.exe?keyword=Copper+Boiling+Point&var=2
    or Aluminum (Al) is 2467C.

Now you certainly haven't achieved those sort of temps but I just wanted to put things in perspective. You haven't boiled the metal but it has heated up very very hot for the metal to start warping, molecularly changing!

Was there any thermal paste there when you removed the heatsink and what "state" (dry/flaky vs. moist/pasty)?? or was the base of the heatsink directly on the CPU?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds