new rig;Opteron165 + Asrock939dualsata2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisC, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

Havent posted here in awhile, but Im still alive and finally have a new rig to play with.
    Got an Opteron 165 (dual core, 1.8ghz, 1mb cache), and an Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 mobo, and am very happy with it (only have 512mbRAM tho, need more:p) My PSU is an Enermax 465watt, all my voltages a few pts above spec, so its not even breaking a sweat.

So far, on air (thermalright SP120), and ocworkbench beta bios1, (all bios' after 1.2 limit fsb to 274mhz, which is annoying, to say the least) I have it running at 300mhz (htt is 4x, or 1200mhz) at 1.4v (.05over), giving me 2.7ghz, runs at 50C under load :D
    I can only set 8x or 9x multiplier tho, at 8x by 340mhz it ran fine, but at 350mhz (2.8ghz CPU), i got errors in about 5 mins on Prime, so I havent been able to push the limit (400 is in theory the max).

Plan on doing the volt mod soon to give 1.475 - 1.55v. Im hoping to get 2.8ghz stable, minimum, and thinking 2.9 might be possible. 3ghz would be ideal, but probably wont happen.

All in all, so far its been rock solid, Im *VERY* impressed with the overclockability of the CPU and motherboard, Ive got faster than FX60 for a third of the cost, and it seems to overclock only 1-200 mhz less than an FX60 would.

I highly recommend this setup, especially if you have an AGP vid card. It takes a bit more tweaking than a DFI would to get the results, but is cheaper, has AGP and PCI-E and an expansion port for AM2 CPU's. No gig-e, and cheapo sound, no IDE RAID (SATA RAID tho;), but I can live with that.

And I also *ahem* traded my broken 9800pro to a big-name retail chain(heatsink fell off, cooked it) for an X800GTO (R430, so only 12 pipes, and ddr1memory [400/700 core/mem], but have a thermalright cooler for it, runs at 440/875).

Yup, Im a happy camper :)

If anyone has any questions about said mobo and CPU, feel free to ask. I had some problems getting it to run the way I wanted, im sure others will, and if some of my toiling for hours will help others do it right the first time, saving them the time, id be happy to do it :)

Chris

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds