Freecom External Hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcadam, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Having problems with this -

My sister owns this for her music and docs etc, laptop shut off due to overheating at lunchtime today and the drive is no longer picked up at all.
    I tried a system restore but to no such luck, and now it's asking for a Cypress AT2LP RC42.

Haven't a clue what this is, but can't find a driver that's worked, tried 3 different ones so far and no luck - surely you shouldn't need a driver for an external hard drive.

It shows in Device Manager but with the yellow question mark needing attention, and tells me the drivers for it aren't installed.

Tried another USB cable, no such luck so I'm fresh out of ideas :(

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

In theory you don't need a driver if you are using XP, or later than W98SE. In actual fact sometimes you do. If you can't find the original driver that came with the drive, try to contact the manufacturer, either by googling, or ringing the shop where it was purchased from. I've got 3 that I am still having trouble with, trying to get them to work with either W98SE and / or XP Pro. 2 of them are 2.5" harddrives from my old laptop, the other is a 160 gig media setup. I've been too busy getting my laptop where I want it to follow up these 3, but their turn is coming. Bazza

===

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

When you right-click my computer, and select manage, does the drive appear in removable storage and/or disk management?

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

No, only device manager but with an error.

Thanks bazza, I'll get into contact with Freecom and the guys that sold me it at the beginning of this month.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

If you didn't need drivers the first time you used it, and now its claiming that you don't have them installed, perhaps the existing drivers got corrupted?

Have you tried removing the drive from device manager, and restarting to let windows try to install it again?

Have you tried removing them with a specialized utility like drivermanager?

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Yep yep yep tried all the basic stuff.

7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Got onto freecom, few conversations - was given the go ahead to break the warranty seal and slot it into my desktop.

It asks to be formatted in order to access it - brilliant! :mad: :mad:

Soooo annoying!

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Glad you solved your problem. :cool: Hope they don't renegé on their advice to break the warranty seal, later, if any further problem arises. :p Bazza

===

9. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Nah baz, not solved yet - need to get the data recovered, using something called GetDataBack which seems to be going ok at the moment...

10. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

These things confuse me - changed a jumper and it appears fine when connected via ide, but not in the freecom enclosure.

Gonna back everything up onto a 200gig sata and then send it off for repair.

11. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I know this is a very old problem but I had the same issue and felt that listing the steps here would be good for anyone that googled the problem since I did... & had to do a lot of reading just to figure out a fix. I fixed my external HDD after the power went out and came back on at my place which resulted in a non working drive! I had the same "cypress at2lp rc42" issue.

This fix is almost 100% guaranteed to work on your external HDD. It seems as if the problem isn't the HDD but the EEPROM in the enclosure itself being wiped/corrupted. Please see here:

http://daltrey.org/linux/cypress.html

P.s.
    Don't bother with the official Cypress websites fix because it's the same thing yet more complicated... & uses more applications to run the fix. The one above uses a driver and application to put your external enclosure in "manufacturing mode" so it can re-write the EEPROM.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds