Question about types of RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mirage2498, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mirage2498

mirage2498 Private E-2

I was Thinking of upgrading my computers RAM. my main problem is i have an old computer. a compaq presario 4090 us and it uses syncDRAM, i looked at the system info on the hp website and it says to use syncDRAM only. but i cant seem to find any anywhere, so i was wondering if anyone knows if i can use another type of ram in this old thing. i cant afford to buy a new computer at the moment so that option is not possible. I'm sorry if this post is crappy but i'm not very good at this type of thing. any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance.

2. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

I would not have thought that this is possible as usualy (well normally) you have to use the same memory for that PC, havent you got enough money to buy a motherboard, proccessor and RAM???

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Here are the specs from compaq for your 'puter:
    128 MB 100MHz SynchDRAM, Three Total DIMM Slots Upgradable To 768 MB (SynchDRAM DIMM Required)
    (this is pc100 or pc133 sdram ..... easy enough to find)

4. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

SyncDRAM is the samething as SDRAM...i think. Which you can find for pretty cheap now a days.

5. mirage2498

mirage2498 Private E-2

Thanks for the help. i feel kind of stupid for not realizing that sdram was the same thing. but either way it helped out alot.

6. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

No problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds