Dell 1150 - monitor or graphics card BIG PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by white_hawk, Apr 18, 2006.

1. white_hawk

white_hawk Private E-2

my friend just dropped off his dell inspiron 1150 laptop at my door saying he thinks its broken. When I turn it on, there are lines all over the place, and then a huge dark spot starts in the middle and takes over the whole screen. After a while, I can sort of make out the login screen, where I type in his password and windows boots up. Everything seems to work, but you can't see anything. (I opened an IE window using run menu, control panel etc, and aim starts up - but it is impossible to make out anything...)

So I'm figuring its the graphics card - and I'm wondering what to do... Except that if it was the driver - there wouldn't be any problems before windows loads, right? ANY help is appreciated - I have no idea what to do. I was going to try to roll back or uninstall the driver for the card, but I can't get to the place without being able to see...

Please help!

2. white_hawk

white_hawk Private E-2

3. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

I would give Dell a call, see what they say. I wouldnt go messing with the Video card or Monitor untile they now about. The Monitor looks likes it working,its just getting funky signals. So i wouldnt doubt if the video card took a crap, assuming its not a driver thing, and its obviously not a heat issue since it happent right when you boot up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds