Linksys Wireless Router - Does it have to be connected to a PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skiddyrow, Apr 19, 2006.

1. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

Hi I have a linksys WRT54G wireless router that I have configured while attached to my laptop and it works fine - one laptop connected by wire and other two wirelessly. Now I have disconnected the laptop and connected the modem directly to the router as before, but removed the ethernet cable between the router and the laptop so that all can access wirelessly. now I cannot see the wireless network on any of the machines. When I search for the available networks, it now shows only the SSID linksys, which is the default linksys SSID - could the router have got reset in any way? do I have to have a machine physically connected to the router for it to work correctly? Any help would be appreciated.

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You do not need a computer connected to the Router for it to connect to the internet. As long as your NOT running internet connection sharing in windows, it shouldn't have created any pronlem disconnecting the one machine.

Try turning off the Router and restarting you cable or DSL modem and after that has completed it's reboot restart the router and see if that makes a difference.

I would recommend changing the ssid to something other then linksys. and also change the channel from 6 to what ever is not being used in your area. NetStumbler is a good program to find out what channel is available in your area.

http://majorgeeks.com/NetStumbler_d4447.html

3. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

thanks, but the problem seems to be resolved. I reconnected the computer to the router and noticed that it had somehow got reset to default settings - i also had used a different SSID and kept it hidden which is why I was surprised to see the default linksys id. After re-entering all the details and disconnecting the laptop it seems to be working fin, though im still puzzled why it got reset...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds