new hd,old system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pappawx3, Apr 19, 2006.

1. pappawx3

pappawx3 Private E-2

i have an ibm thinkpad 760el,i'm trying to upgrade,we got 64 mb ram and installed that it has 8mb built in.we got a 30gb fujitsu hd and i have pc professor and have made all kinds of disks but it will not boot so i can put os on it,it had win 95 on it.i can't find anyone to help,all want to sell you something.so please if anyone can tell me what i need to do..please thank you NEWBIE.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Just a thought. Will W95 and your old BIOS handle a 30 gig hard drive. Older BIOS / laptops had varying Hard drive size limitations, I think. Bazza

===

3. pappawx3

pappawx3 Private E-2

i know that you are correct,but what i have read is there is a hard disk overlay program for this,to go around the drive limits...thank you..lost newbie

4. bigbazza

Make sure it works for W95, of course. Bazza

===

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Are any updated BIOS available? It would be best to have the latest BIOS in this case.

Can you get into the BIOS with the drive plugged in? if so, you might want to try entering the hard drive information manually (Heads, cylinders, Sectors etc..)

Also, have you tried using a hard disk utility, like Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools to partition and format the drive before windows install?

6. bigbazza

You'd probably be better served bu upgrading to Windows 98 Second Edition. (W98SE). You should be able to pick up legal copies very cheaply from computer stores, ebay or even at MG's buy and sell forum. http://forum.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Maybe someone will even donate a legal copy to you, for free.

One major advantage of W98SE over W95 is that W98SE supports USB (with specific USB drivers). That fact alone is worth the upgrade. Bazza

===

7. pappawx3

pappawx3 Private E-2

thank you for your input sounds like good advice to me,i do have 98se on cd,the only thing is i can't get the laptop to anything at all,it's a 30gb Fujitsu hdd,i'm also doing the max on memory up to 64mb ram,i can't get it to boot on anything,thank you for taking time to help the new guy...:confused: also this laptop doesn't have a usb port and no cd rom.i guess that is one reason it's so hard to work with

8. bigbazza

You can buy a power adapter cable that will fit a 2.5" drive into a desktop, very cheaply.
    Check out ebay for ridicoulsly (spelt wrong I know) cheap price for one.

Maybe pull your 30gig from your laptop, plug it into a desktop and format, partition it there. I'll give no guarantee that your old laptop will recognise it, though, when you re-install it back in your laptop.

Maybe try partitioning your 30gigger to 3 x 10 gigs in the desktop. Your old laptop may recognise the 10 gig partition.

Work your way from there, increasing partition to 2 x 15, etc., and see what happens.
    It'll mean lots of swopping back and forward but you may get some combination that will work, if you are lucky.

Bazza

===

9. pappawx3

pappawx3 Private E-2

i got the adapter to put the 2.5 laptop on my desktop,it shows in device manager,but it don't show on my computer,ibm says i can onlt go to 3gb,the guy didn't know about an overlay prog,or anything,just to try it...

10. bigbazza

Looks like the 3gig limitation is going to sink you, unless you can find a BIOS upgrade that will allow you a bigger partition. Try googling your make and model laptop and "BIOS upgrade", or similar term and see what that may turn up. Sorry, I can't be more helpful. Bazza

===

11. pappawx3

pappawx3 Private E-2

thank you for helping me,i'll give that a shot,again thank so much for taking the time...NEWBIE

12. bigbazza

You're welcome. Sorry we couldn't assist more. Keep us informed of your progress as we all learn that way. Best of luck. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds