How to speed up a old nag

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TimW, Apr 19, 2006.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Had some help from Brownizs getting an old compaq 5710 up and running .... more like staggering. Ran a test at pcpitstop and they agreed it wasn't up to as much speed as it could be. Have looked at all the drivers ....all ms version 2001. Have disabled indexing, turned off candy and anything else I can think of. Set browser priority to high ..... its running 450mhz with 384mgs ram and should be as fast as my 531mhz with only 258mgs ram .... but it takes three minutes for internet to come up .... a good minute and a half for adaware to come up .... this beast is crawling!!!!!
    Any ideas other than shoot it? (I was given it ... set it up for the wife, but she dosn't have the patience to wait for it to run!!).
    Thought of putting in a different mobo, but the ps is only 200 watts. Mobo's came out of units that ran 300 + ....
    And no I don't have a boat so the anchor idea is out.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

possibly a failing hdd is your problem. check google for an hdd quality checking scanner.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Did it say exactly what was not running at full speed?

I don't really see that a failing HDD would cause that much of a problem - but it is possible I guess.

I'd be more inclined to think that the processor isn't running at it's full speed. But if PCPitstop gave you extra info, we'd very much like to see it.

You could also download EVEREST Free Edition and give us more info about the system. That program should conclusively identify if any hardware is running with incorrect settings :)

4. TimW

If I recall correctly, it said the processor was not up to speed .... also noticed that the primary and secondary ide are running PIO rather than DMA (set as DMA when possible - transfer mode currently set to PIO) ..... just ran PC Doctor and the motherboard test shows RTC failed with code 0711-201 (have to google that). Will download everest and get back with results.
    Thanks!!!

5. TimW

OK, ran Everest - 40 page report ...... will wade through it and report back with the problems found ...

6. TimW

Here are the main points from Everest : (I csan type this then go get a smoke and by the time I come back its still putting it on the page....arrggg!!!)
    Problem No CPU L2 cache found. This may cause performance penalty.
    Suggestion SSE is not supported. Upgrade your CPU to speed up applications optimized for SSE.

Physical Memory:
    Total 379 MB
    Used 188 MB
    Free 190 MB
    Utilization 50 %

Swap Space:
    Total 911 MB
    Used 153 MB
    Free 758 MB
    Utilization 17 %

Virtual Memory:
    Total 1291 MB
    Used 342 MB
    Free 949 MB
    Utilization 26 %

Physical Address Extension (PAE):
    Supported by Operating System Yes
    Supported by CPU No
    Active No

Problems & Suggestions
    Suggestion Install more system memory to improve applications performance.
    Anything else I need to post?
    Am shuttung down to replace the CMOS battery....

7. TimW

OK, just to put this one to rest ....decided to shoot the old nag. Just too much to deal without enough results. So stripped what I wanted out of the old nag and broke down and got a new ps for one of my other boards and stuck everything in that 'puter. Tally ho!!! Speed!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds