Pci Express Slots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XKazeCloudX, Apr 20, 2006.

1. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Private First Class

I have bought a motherboard with a Pci Express slot. Is this a regular pci slot like the old days or is this different. Should i buy a pci express video card or agp? is there a quality difference? can an agp and a pci be pluged into the motherboard at the same time.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

it is similar to old PCI slots but with a much higher bandwidth. AGP is 8x while PCI-E is 16x so definitely get a PCI-E video card (the new 7 series nvidia cards, an ATI x800 or higher or x1600 or higher, if u want to play modern games well) And no, you cant use both an AGP and a PCI-E video card simultaneously, at least not for a performance boost. Thats where SLI comes in; 2 PCI-E slots with 2 same video cards ( SLI is for nvidia cards, crossfire is the ATI version) If u have any more questions id be glad to help ya

3. XKazeCloudX

wow thanks. im going to buy a new pci video card then =] it seems cheaper too. my geforce 5500 256mb agp is still 100$ and the new pci 7300GS 256mb ddr3 is like...79$ also O.O. can you explain to me why the price is like this?

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ok ill try my best lol. they keep coming out with bigger and better pci-e cards so in order to keep selling the weaker cards, they must drop the price sionce the new cards take their place at the old, high price of the now weaker card. With AGP, since they are starting to phase it out, they arent coming out with as many new cards and therefore the prices dont drop as much. i hope that kinda explains it...

o yea, dont get a 7300gs, its not much better than your 5500. how much do you want to spend?

5. XKazeCloudX

well still around 100 dollars >_< which is probably not goin to get me any good memory cards. what is the next pci card that is better than my fx5500 agp?

6. Tubnotub1

Tubnotub1 Private First Class

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds