HP Scanjet 5300C problem help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pozzydrive, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi,

I am at work and have been given a Scanjet 5300C scanner (second hand) which another department did not want, as they had been given a new one, previously I had a Scanjet 5200C which worked fine, however I cannot get the 5300C to work, it has a usb connection and power supply, there is no response with the exception that the light works inside the scanner, so it must be getting power to it, I downloaded the software and driver from the HP website and installed same, but still no use, I went into device manager and there is no sign of it, can anyone help as I really need to use this scanner for work I am doing.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Going to start this with a question .... assuming you are running xp and have downloaded updates ?..... one of which (recent) will screw with HP devices. Can't recall which update number it was but I think it is a link on the MG home page under news .....you may have to see if you have this update and do a restore point before that update .... then try the scanner.
    Bump to anyone ...

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Also with some hardware you have to install the Software & Drivers without the hardware attached to the computer. If you do have it attached you will get problems. Check the install manual.

4. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi fella's,

Unfortunately I do not have administrators privileges, so cannot even access windows updates, but I do know that it is fully up to date, nor can I carry out a restore point, I have managed to eventually get help from HP, they gave me the regedit details to uninstall the software, as I could not uninstall through the control panel install software programme, an error in the downloaded HP software, as for installing the software and drivers before connecting the hardware, that might be where the problem lies, as I did not do that, anyway I'd like to thank the both of you's for your time and trouble, its much appreciated, if I manage to get someone to access regedit then I will just remove the scanner and put the old one back, never mind.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds