bummed out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leoleotheiii, Apr 20, 2006.

1. leoleotheiii

leoleotheiii Private First Class

i have a PIII 1ghz Coppermine running on 133mhz FSB, on other forums i see people hitting 1.5ghz on their systems but i max out my stability at pitiful 1034mhz :eek: , anything over that wud cause windows hang up or sudden crashes...i tried raising the volts from 1.7v(default) to 1.8v and it still didnt help

my specs are
    PIII 1ghz Coppermine, 133fsb
    512 PC133 ram
    Asus CUV4X Socket 370 mobo

PS. I read it somewhere that coppermines are bad overclockers, and tautalins ar better is that true?

2. leoleotheiii

btw this may sound stupid but

is there any house hold items that can subsitute for thermal paste????

3. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

Toothpaste and vasoline ;) Linkage....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2006
  4. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Sorry Tollhouse your the victom of a half asleep posting :eek:. and the back button dident get me your old post back but made FF crap its self instead :rolleyes:...

5. leoleotheiii

NICE!! tooth paste and vasline, who wud ever thought..thx a bunch on that, however im still really frustrated on how my cpu wuddnt over clock :\

6. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Have you tryed giving the core more voltage? That sounds about right for running on stock voltage.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Always be wary of using toothpaste as it has a high % of H2O and will evaporate and become dry and crusty quickly (thus stop working). Geez you can get thermal paste for a $3 from a good elctronics store, don't skimp on this.

8. leoleotheiii

Tried and did not succeed...my stock is 1.70v went all the way up to 1.85....just alot of heat, so i turned it back down to 1.7

haha ok...where i live thermal pastes costs from 6$-20$ (wouldnt really want to try the 6$ one, but i guess i can squeeze some change out of my pocket for a decent brand :D)

EDIT: Vasiline cud solve the dry and cracking problem

9. Tubnotub1

Tubnotub1 Private First Class

Noob question, but have you tried loosening up your ram timings, it might just be your ram that is holding you back, and not your CPU.

10. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

the good part about Toothpaste? It has high conductivity, and if you are going for a personal best OC, it is the absolute best way to go short of a Pelt/TEC system.

11. leoleotheiii

no luck :( ..... i have only 3 options on ram timing... 1.) auto 2.)1/1 3.)4/3
    I use auto right now, and 1/1 wud crash my comp every time i try to run something that uses alot of ram, 4/3 one reduces my porformance....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds