computer trapped in reboot loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maursvolta, Apr 24, 2006.

1. maursvolta

maursvolta Private E-2

ok, so a couple of days ago i noticed my computer was acting wierd, i would try to do defragment, froze, disk clean up....froze. so i tried to back up my files and the burning program wouldnt work so i thought i would just turn it off and let it rest. so the next day i turned it on and just as the little windows loading screen came up it froze and restarted. I did the F8 thing and tried to run it in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompts, all of them and none worked!!

I would just do a system recovery but that would delete all my files and i have too much on my computer that i just dont want deleted. so i dont know if anyone has gone through this or know how to help me get my files but if you do...

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

thanks ahead of time

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

hmm, without knowing what the problem is and without any error codes thats a hard one to diagnose. have you tried taking out everything but the essentials? (ie, run the computer with only the hard drive, RAM, and graphics card plugged in)

IF its not a hardware problem, a simple solution would be to install windows on top of the current windows installation (a repair installation). That would preserve all of your data, aside form customized windows settings. However, if it is a hardware problem, that wont help.

I recommend trying to find a hardware problem before assuming its software. If you can get into safe mode with the bare minimum running, then you can take it from there.

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

If you have XP put the xp cd in & boot up. Press a key when it say do you want to boot from cd.

Follow the screens to the repair option & try that. That should get you back in so you can back things up.

4. maursvolta

maursvolta Private E-2

i dont have the xp cd, it just came loaded with the computer, it sucks

5. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

any drive errors during normal boot?

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

see if you can get another hard drive to boot up,im thinking hd failure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds